Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Outdoors Photography
Co-Winner

2010 Biggest Deer
Co-Winner Archery
2010 Biggest Deer
Winner
2015 Trail Cam Contest
Winner
2017 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #1  Post subject: Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:12 am 
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/59300180 ... t=20180320

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm 
It is curious is that the great concern is how things will be paid for as hunters decline if indeed that is true. Hunting regulations are so complex and agencies seem to go out of their way to make it difficult to hunt it is small wonder why hunters drop out. The biggest problem is the younger people have no connection to the land or wild things and hunting is vilified in schools and the media.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:22 am 
:shesaid: .... :sob:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am 
yes, but another part of the problem is access to land. a lot of folks who would hunt, or would pick up hunting have no place to go. They dont have a old family deer lease, or hunting club. If you dont come from a hunting background this makes it very hard to start. If you dont have some sort of connection to some place its well neigh impossible. I know several younger friends who used to hunt but no longer have access to the places they did growing up. They would love to hunt but have nowhere to go and are not yet established enough to afford a lease. I do think there is plenty interest in the younger folks who want to learn. The "organic, free range, locally sourced meat" is a draw for many Had a couple conversations yesterday with some of my friends. One couple is looking to buy a .243 so the wife can shoot. She is suddenly ex-vegetarian after this fall. they have a friend who works on a ranch in south Texas that has large excess does #s and gets a lot of management tags to thin the herd. They went down one weekend and she got her first deer. We talked rifles. Have another friend who lives out from town a ways. roomie wont let him shoot because there is a deed restriction against it ( 15 acres in a "large lot" rural subdivision) I pointed out that the subdivision does not have a functioning HOA and the county does not care about deed restrictions. They have hogs and the dogs are always coming home with pieces of piglet.

We didnt have these sorts of obstacles when we were younger ( I didnt) so how do we make it easier for new hunters to learn ? Hunting is a very basic human trait. It is in our DNA A little facilitating will go a long way.

We also have urban areas with big deer problems. If we dont thin those herds and CWD gets established it will be bad. Urban deer is where the contrasting attitudes that city folks have about deer will be a struggle. A larger # of younger people who understand hunting is needed. At some point a new tick borne something will come along and people will quit thinking the raccoons in their trash and the deer in their yards are cute, and realize they are vectors. Just like mosquitoes.

Offline Profile