Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 am 
Aoudads
I saw my first aoudads this weekend. I got to go out to my friends ranch in Edwards county. Its about 100 miles west of San Antonio. As I was driving in Friday nite I saw a big ram beside the road about 5 miles from Rocksprings. I thought " thats a really big deer" then he lifted his head and I saw the huge sweeping horns. The next morning we could see some from the ranch house. They were up high on the ridge next door. When we went hiking to put up game cams and see the layout of the ranch we saw several. Up high on the ridges. Later when we had our rifles we didnt see any, except across the fence on that ridge next door. These are not nearly as spooky as whitetails. We tried for Axis that evening and Sunday morning but all we saw were a long way off across the fences. Heard them barking not too far away. Could also hear a porcupine gnawing on a tree not too far from my sit spot behind a boulder. Their friends who were at the ranch a couple weeks ago shot 2 Sika deer. All these animals are free range naturalizing species that have escaped from high fence ranches and now have established breeding populations. As I was driving home I saw a herd or 2 of blackbuck antelope that were behind low fences, so they also were not captives held in by high fences. Nobody seems to have a handle whats getting out and naturalizing, where and how many there are of what species. The last published article you can find was written in the 80s by a wildlife biologist at TPWD who is no longer with us.

When we downloaded the gamecams I told my friends that if I wanted pictures of wild hogs at night I can get those in San Marcos. The hogs have been rooting all the way up at the tops of the dry rocky ridges. We did get some pics of Axis by a feeder, including 2 "sparring"

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm 
The ranch house
Aoudad up on the hill next door, Aoudad is near the top of the ridge in the center of the pic. Notice the fence line on the left side of the view

Bruce and Jared Moring and the valley of Pulliam Creek

Looking down at the ranch house from up on the ridge

Hogs rooting in the rocks at the top of the hill where the soil is 3" deep

Offline Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #3  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:30 pm 
:thumbsup: ... Dang hogs!

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 pm 
How many acres is this ranch? Looks like one neighbor has high fence. I love hunting the exotics, well before they got out of my price range. I have shot axis and a aoudad. My son killed a nice Sika buck when he was 10. Must be fun knowing about anything could show up. A black buck has always been high on my list.

Online Profile  

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am 
I think its 220 acres. They have Axis, Sika and Aoudads. Blackbuck havent got that far west ( that I know or hear about) But they are getting established 60 miles east near Medina in Bandera county so it might be a matter of time. The Sika stick to the rocky hillsides as do the Aoudads. The Axis are down in the valleys. Be interesting to see how blackbuck would use the area. I think down in the grassy valleys, but who knows. Fallow and Barasinga deer are in the area so who knows what you might see.

Offline Profile  

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:37 pm 
Has anyone had a case of poison ivy so bad they were getting fever and chills from it ? Not to mention the general muscle pain and aching joints. I am normally somewhat immune but apparently I was rolling around it last week. I was on a geology survey and found small cave throat /entrance. the old rancher had filled it with small rocks which I very carefully removed as far as my arm would reach. So I was laying on my side reaching down in. Guess I should have looked closer at those pre-emergent twiggy plants I was on. To top it off, it got from my shirt to the shoulder strap of my day pack. Which I used on a sweaty saturday hike. When I started to break out days later I didnt make the connection and spent several days wondering if I'd fallen a sleep in a ant mound, got swarmed by mosquitoes or had some one off attack by bed bugs on just one shoulder. Eventually the blisters formed and I remembered the cave dig. Hurting puppy right now

Offline Profile  

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:45 pm 
The smoking gun. looks like just some blackberries virginia creeper ect. But look right under the compass cord. dang File under missadventure

Offline Profile  

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Grubbsi Adventures, Texas, Arkansas and elsewhere
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:49 pm 
I am guessing that the day pack was sitting right on a bunch of it Looks like we have a name for the cave. Poison ivy pit

Offline Profile