Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67

Judge
2012 Trail Cam Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2013 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
"BIG" Co-Winner
2014 Tinest Tines Award

Post #661  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:38 pm 
Those sheds will put a nice hole in a tractor tire, really they will.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #662  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:30 pm 
WW wrote:
Boy those fruit trees are really comin' along firehog... You must and the weatherman have followed the plantin' and maintenance directions to the T.... :th_yeah: :th_yeah: :th_yeah:
Thanks, I am hoping this year should be the year we get some fruit. Last year we had a late frost that hurt but ended up getting a few on each tree. Hoping this year is the year.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #663  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:32 pm 
pine place wrote:
Those sheds will put a nice hole in a tractor tire, really they will.
Yes sir, I've been looking hard.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #664  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:07 pm 
It’s been a couple months since I’ve posted so I better catch up. It’s been a very busy spring for me this year. I decided to not plant all my plots for summer instead optioning to just plant a couple and work on building the soil on the others. A couple had some nice wheat and rye that I thought I would let stand all year. So far they have pretty much headed out and I’ll see how long they last. My hope is to bush hog in Aug and hope I get more seed in those plots for the fall.

I’ve planted more apple and pear trees to give me a total around 25 fruit trees. I had just about all my pear trees this year bloom out and have little pears then I had a late season freeze and it froze most of those little pears and they fell off.

I haven’t done a lot on the bottom land ground due to it’s been mostly flooded and now it’s hot. Last time I was in there I had to paddle in. Here are some pictures of that trip. This spring flood wasn’t as bad as last year. I had quiet a bit of ground out of water.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #665  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 am 
I was raised up huntin' in the bottoms. And although I've come to love huntin' in the mountains, I still miss huntin' in the bottoms... :yep:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #666  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 pm 
W, I love each and every area, whether its the Ozarks to the Delta or the Crowley's Ridge in between. But something about the bottoms has always pulled my hunting focus more together. I don't know if its the tall oaks and being able to get really high in trees and looking down on the forest floor and knowing anything could walk under me at any time.

I'll tell you about this hunt once, didn't kill anything and nothing special about the hunt from a deer hunting aspect. I had a spot I found not too far in the woods about a 1/2 mile walk and I hung a stand early before the season. I waited for this spot and didn't hunt it until I felt it was right around the 3rd week of Oct. I got up early and traveled 45 minutes to get to the woods. It was still way dark but I wanted to give everything time to settle down and I was running on good coffee. So I slipped my way through the woods and climbed into my stand. I positioned everything and hung my bow up. I settled back and just took in the darkness.

The crickets were chirping, I could hear a barn owl hooting off in the distance, it was like the whole woods was alive and I was just sitting there and soaking it in. It's amazing how the bottoms have a different feel than the Ozarks mountains. I could truly fall asleep listening to the woods at night in the bottoms, it's like an orchestra of bugs and animals singing. All of a sudden things went totally silent and it startled me kinda, I was like what's going on everything just shut up. Deathly silent except I heard this weird sound off in the distance that I can't describe and for a few minutes, I didn't have a clue what I was hearing. So by now I am really freaked out and I'm trying to figure out what this sound was getting closer and I'm not talking about an animal moving in the woods, it was like a steady sound of wind maybe but there was no wind and it's getting closer. Now I can't see anything the sun still was a ways off before rising.

I didn't have a clue but whatever this sound was it was getting closer. Then a slight gust of cool wind swirled in my face and I realized I was hearing sheet rain hitting the woods straight down. This cloud came through and was dumping rain straight down. It was a very small cloud I guess because it didn't last but maybe 10 minutes and as soon as it passed, you should have heard the bugs and critters light up. It was the most amazing sounds I've ever heard in my life of hunting. I turned my head up to the sky and just let it rain on my face. I didn't care about getting wet I wanted to soak in every last drop of this experience. That may sound silly but it was the most amazing feeling and sounds I have ever experienced and I've never taken a drug in my life and why would you if nature can put you on a high like that. I was 25 foot up a tree, I was not at work, life was good. The sun peeked up just after the rain and the smell of fresh rain on a fall canopy can't be described.

Offline Profile  

Sponsor

Tony Malone's Taxidermy Studio

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winner
2010 Best Rub Contest
WINNER
2011 "Tiniest Tines" Award

Highscores: 13
Post #667  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:52 am 
Cool story firehog!!

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67