Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Admin

Post #641  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 am 
Looks like 2018 is gonna be a good year at Rattler.... :th_yeah: Put me a stand up at Rattler #3 please... :excited:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #642  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 am 
:thumb:
WW wrote:
Looks like 2018 is gonna be a good year at Rattler.... :th_yeah: Put me a stand up at Rattler #3 please... :excited:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #643  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:54 am 

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #644  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 am 

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #645  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:00 am 

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #646  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:05 am 

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #647  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 am 

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #648  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 am 

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #649  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 am 
Awesome.... :th_yeah:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #650  Post subject: Re: Firehog's Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 pm 
Winding down deer season but thinking about the stuff I need to get accomplished before the next fall and the heat. The next 4 months is really when I get a lot of work accomplished and the weather allows for cooler temps compared to July Aug and Sept and this "getting old body" can handle things. Some of the work is not manual intensive but heck taking down and stand or putting one up can be tough on me.

Some of the things I need to do this year is pull my hanging stands down. Some have hanging ladder sections and others have screw in steps and I'll leave the steps. I am looking to replace most of my hanging ladder steps with screw in and that will not be easy. I need to cut some shooting lanes on a few stands.

I'm not going to do any dozer work this year so my spring and summer should be easier than a few other years. I am going to have a shop built and other than me doing the inside work on cabinets and bar, that shouldn't be bad or hot.

I still haven't decided what summer plots I want to plant. I know I want to do some sunflowers for a dove field and I may do some soybeans on the ridge. All of my fall plots really did well. The ridge deer are still eating on them and should make it through till spring green up. Over in the bottoms, the wheat is still feeding but the radishes froze and got mushy and they had eaten all of them for the most part.

I need to pull all trail cams and maybe leave a couple going year round.

Outside of that, about the only thing I'll be doing is shed hunting and preparing for turkey season. I may do a plot for quail and see how it goes and leave it for the doves. One of the things I know I need to provide is thermal type cover for deer late season and also do it with a blend of plants that can feed birds.

I need to service four-wheeler and move it back to the cabin. I need to fertilize all the fruit trees and make sure my bottom cages are not growing into the tree.

It's been an excellent season. Probably the best I've had ever. We saw a lot of deer and the deer used the plots like I had expected and hoped. My stands had all been placed in proper locations for the wind and I had different stands for different wind directions. I did hang two stands that were new areas that I hadn't hunted and they showed promise during the rut. Most of my stands where feed stands and now I have a few just for cruising bucks in the rut. I know y'all have heard me say I don't like the rut much because its unpredictable on seeing my bucks. They scatter out and I just didn't have those funnel areas to see cruising bucks. I found two spots and by chance threw up a couple cameras and all season through the rut I got good bucks on camera. Some I hadn't even got on camera yet, or off food plots or corn. This time of year is usually when I pull a good amount of bucks and I see what I have. But now I know two spots I can hunt no feed areas but just an area where they like to cruise through checking does.

In Illinois, I had areas which you could hunt and see 5-6 different bucks cruising between woodlots during the rut. It made for great hunting and you never knew what was going to come through. On my property, I didn't really have that, or I thought I didn't have that until now. One area is in the bottoms and you wouldn't know it because it's flat. It had 5 old ladder stands in the area and I should have keyed in on that, but outside of a clump of acorn tree's, there were no defined trails. But what it is, is a slough that wraps around these oaks and it's higher ground. There is another piece of the island across the sloughs on both sides and that tip is just where they like to cross around. They come in from all directions or cross it from all directions. I play an NW or N wind for the most part. All the deer I saw off stand never scented me and I saw some bruiser but just out of bow range. I was able to kill one though.

I placed a high stand about 27 feet up and you can see the floor pretty good. I little strip of buck brush goes across the tip of the island and the bucks love to hang in that small amount of cover. I had two very large trees that fell down and it created a funnel and the deer either go around the trees between the slough and tree or they go between the two trees. If they go-between, I have a good chance of getting a shot. 3/4 of the fun is finding spots like this on new ground. I hunted it several times and absolutely loved just sitting in that tree. For the most part, I saw deer or hogs every hunt but I just enjoyed the view.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next