Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 pm 
Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long? Or is this an article by an antler farmin' bowhunter who wants more undisturbed bowhuntin' time?

http://www.couriernews.com/view/full_st ... dang-long-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:22 am 
I read that article in Sundays paper. No I do not think the season is to long. IMO bowhunters are a spoiled selfish group on the whole. They think that 5 and 1/2 months is not enough because they have to share a couple months of it with gun hunters. They resent gunhunters getting to hunt during the rut in what they would like to be exclusively bowhunting time. They dominate the bears seasons and want to do the same with deer.

Offline Profile  

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 am 
I tried to read the article but start of the 3rd paragraph where he goes off on black powder showed that this is just some guy with a axe to grind. Not wasting my time with dishonest discussion. IMO season dates should be connected to harvest rate. Isnt that how you manage populations ? When I look up the dates for south central Arkansas modern gun season it looks short to me, but what do I know. My county in central Texas has extended non-anterless season till Jan 18th. 2 weeks after the usual end of season. A lot of Texas counties have that this year. Management tool. We have a lot smaller deer so the same biomass is 2 or 2 1/2 times as many deer

Online Profile  

Judge
2012 Trail Cam Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2013 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
"BIG" Co-Winner
2014 Tinest Tines Award

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:33 pm 
I dont believe our deer season is too long. It gives all the hunters and, this includes those that are not retired, plenty of hunting days. Most people dont hunt everyday anyway, well maybe WW is an exception.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 pm 
I tried to read the article but start of the 3rd paragraph where he goes off on black powder showed that this is just some guy with a axe to grind

Strange but right there is where he lost me too. I did go back later and finish it just to see how it ended but it ended as I thought it would.

I am retired and like WW can hunt every day if I want to and usually try to do just that. Maybe that is why this irritates me so much. When you get older every day you can hunt is much more valuable than when you are young and think you have forever to hunt. And I agree the working hunter needs to have his chances too.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:30 pm 
Blah blah blah. Shoot um with bean flips.
He has not a clue. AG&F wants more deer killed. Bow hunters can not get the job done. That is the reason for longer seasons. It gets more hunters in to the field killing deer.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Outdoors Photography
Co-Winner

2010 Biggest Deer
Co-Winner Archery
2010 Biggest Deer
Winner
2015 Trail Cam Contest
Winner
2017 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm 
Wow, he really needs to get a grip on reality. I think our season is just fine the way it is. I still see plenty of deer all year.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Are Arkansas Deer Seasons Too Long?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 pm 
:shesaid: Just drove back from Dover to my house about an hour ago. Ten miles and we easily saw 30+ deer and had to stop completely in the road once so they could make up their minds.

Offline Profile