Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:35 pm 
I have a 7mm Rem Mag but looking to add another, I am looking at two different Remington 700's one is a 30-06 with a 24" barrel add the other is a .300 Win Mag with a 26" barrel. Just wondering which is better for Arkansas and other big game hunting. Thanks for y'all answers! God Bless!!

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:32 pm 
Seems like you like a lot of powder. Any of those will do the job. I use a Win 270. I think it is more about getting a rifle you fell comfortable with that groups well.

I always heard fear the man that owns only one rifle.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Trail Cam Images and Info

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2015 Highest Scoring Deer
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 pm 
Of the two you mention I'd pick the 30/06 if it was strictly for Arkansas hunting, if a trip west was ever in the plans I'd go with the 300 WM. 300WM adds 100 yards to the 30/06's effective range. What an 06 will do at 300yards the 300WM will do at 400yards, but it do thump the shoulder a little harder.

If I already had a 7MM Mag that will handle a western elk hunt and I was looking for a new deer rifle, I'd go with a 6.5 Creedmoor. I've been really impressed with this round. My SIL has one and between what I've seen with the deer he's killed and the reviews I've read, I'd look hard at it. My go to deer rifle caliber for the last few years has been the 25/06. I've got 3 of them, although my son has laid claim to one of them. As much as I like the 25/06, if (when) I decide to get another rifle, it'll be a 6.5 Creedmoor. Low recoil and flat shooting with 120-147gr bullets, the .264 sized bullets have the highest ballistic coefficients you'll see. I've got a nephew that has taken 2 long range shooting courses in the last year in Arizona, shooting up to 2000 yards. He said the first trip out there they were using .338 and 300 magnums along with some 6.5CM. The second trip he went out 9 months later they had stopped using anything but 6.5 Creedmoors.

I use a 300WM in Colorado for elk and I really like the gun I have that's chambered in it, but the older I get the more recoil shy I get, so I don't deer hunt in Arkansas with it or even mu 30/06, that's where my 25/06s come in.

Just remember there's never a bad reason to buy a new gun, if in doubt, buy two!

Offline Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #4  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:11 pm 
I would go with the 30/06... It has a lot of advantages. Not only being a proven effective and very versatile caliber but it's easy to find ammo. Stop at any out of the way store that sells rifle cartridges and they will have 30/06.

I don't have a 30/06 and deer hunt with either a 7MM mag or a 308 win...With that being said, if I could only own one rifle it would be a 30/06.

Online Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:24 am 
The 303 British has probable killed more game world wide than any other cartridge maybe rivaled only by the 30-06 and 7x57 mauser. I miss my .303, dang thieves.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #6  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 am 
Sound like you would like to go with 300. That 7 mag will handle about everything. If it was me. I would be wanting a flat shooting .243 or 25-06 . I recall just a few years ago in 70's 30-06 was what was happen and that cal. still gets it done.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 am 
When buying a rifle for possible western hunting remember you have to carry the thing. Long barrels also mean heavier. Hiking up and down steep high altitude hills and mountains can wear a flatlander down real fast. Non magnum rounds have been killing game out west for a long time and still can. With the premium bullets available these days they are capable of doing even more and at longer ranges.
It is all fun to read about and dream about shooting game at long range but only a very small percentage of hunters practice enough and know their rifles and cartridge well enough to ethically do so. A gut shot elk is just as gut shot with a big magnum as with anything else. Nearly everyone shoots lighter recoil rounds better.

Offline Profile  

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 pm 
What range are most shots in Arkansas ? do you get many over 100 yd ? I heard a story from a cousin about shooting a deer on a powerline ROW that was 300 yd or more. Its hard to find a place in our woods up there where you have a 70 yd line of sight. Most of the little deer in my "yard" in central Texas are less than 70 yd and .243 works fine. I used to have places I could hunt with 150 - 250 yd possibilities and 30-06 always worked real well there. It kicks too much so I got the 243. I can shoot it all day and not get sore. If I get to go out west a bit and hunt 200 -300 lbs exotics I'd take the 30-06 ( or the new 7mm-08) I like less recoil and know I'm much more accurate with the smaller sizes. size of game and range of shot are the main factors to consider, and how much time you get to hunt which places. The right bullets are a factor too. Modern ammo can make a big difference.

Yes the 6.5 creedmore looks real sweet too

Online Profile  

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm 
Thanks guys for all of the info, I am probably going to go with the .300! Thanks again! God Bless!!!

Offline Profile  

Judge
2012 Trail Cam Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2013 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
"BIG" Co-Winner
2014 Tinest Tines Award

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm 
I have a .308, 30/06, and .243. Mostly use the 308 because it is a lighter to carry rifle. I bring the other two after my freezer is full and I'm just hunting for fun. Have to admit I am getting rifle hungry and the 6.5 CM is calling my name

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Outdoors Photography
Co-Winner

2010 Biggest Deer
Co-Winner Archery
2010 Biggest Deer
Winner
2015 Trail Cam Contest
Winner
2017 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #11  Post subject: Re: Which Caliber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 am 
I have a 30.06 and a 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5 Creedmoor won out this past season. Accuracy is great, recoil isn't bad and easy to carry as well. Performed well. Three of us in my family used one this past season.

Offline Profile