Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Trail Cam Images and Info

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
2015 Highest Scoring Deer
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #1  Post subject: CWD in Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 am

If I am to be insulted; first I must value your opinion.

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: CWD in Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 am 
At least Louisiana is taking a proactive approach to CWD and isn't just sittin' on it's butt waitin' to react after it shows up. They have a northern neighbor that instead of being reactive, desperately needs to be more proactive. Except they have to start givin' a crap about their deer herd having CWD first. Their wildlife agency has to be 100% focused on slowing it's spread instead of being focused on building $25 million non consumptive perpetual showcase money eatin' Nature Centers and a showcase Elk herd that hardly anyone can hunt while CWD continues to spread Lord knows where through their deer herd... :smack:

"Bread may feed my body, but huntin' and fishin' feeds my soul!"

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #3  Post subject: Re: CWD in Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:47 pm 
Well sort of proactive. Stopping feeding now that it is so close is kind of closing the barn door a little late. Also only 8,300 samples in 15 years. That's not very many. I think Arkansas had that many or close to it and still missed it long enough for it to get to 23% prevalence in the core area. Louisiana was probably like Arkansas in that when USDA funding dried up they quit looking but I can't say for sure but I can find out.

Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi need to be looking at sampling minimally on a scale like Missouri or more to really say that you are looking. IMO if you ain't going to look hard just forget the whole thing. Over 200,000 checked deer and only God knows how many more unchecked and the piddling number of samples collected here during hunting season is an awful showing. :twocents:

Offline Profile