Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #21  Post subject: Re: Manadatory CWD Testing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:17 pm 
That is right Sam mule deer have been declining for decades. Over their whole range too so any gloomy prediction about mule deer may or may not have CWD as a player

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #22  Post subject: Re: Manadatory CWD Testing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:06 pm 
As far as Wyoming's mule deer is concerned, I was saying what Wyoming studies say about the decline of Mule deer in areas. I personally don't know the reason for the decline. They also say mule deer are expanding in some areas. As an example of what I was saying here is a couple of quotes I saved a couple of years ago from one of those studies, plus I may have posted one of the studies on the Forum in Arkansas' earliest days of CWD maybe.

[i In southeastern Wyoming average annual CWD prevalence in mule deer exceeds 20% and appears to contribute to regional population declines. We determined the effect of CWD on mule deer demography using age-specific, female-only, CWD transition matrix models to estimate the population growth rate (λ). Mule deer were captured from 2010–2014 in southern Converse County Wyoming, USA.

A model derived from the demography of only CWD-negative individuals yielded; λ = 1.00, indicating a stable population if CWD were absent. These findings support CWD as a significant contributor to mule deer population decline. Chronic wasting disease is difficult or impossible to eradicate with current tools, given significant environmental contamination, and at present our best recommendation for control of this disease is to minimize spread to new areas and naïve cervid populations.

And yes there's not a modeling study ever that can't and won't be taken apart by some who disagree with it.... And that is a statement I can make with a 100% chance of being right... :happy0035:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #23  Post subject: Re: Manadatory CWD Testing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 am 
I have hunted antelope in Converse County and adjoining Niobrara County. At times we have seen lot's of mule deer and other times not as many same with antelope. There have been several winter kills in the last 15 years but mostly for both antelope and mule deer the Wyoming G&F continued to issue abundant doe tags even after years of winter kill. IMO the decline in this part of the state of both species is related directly to mismanagement by Wyoming. There is considerable hunting pressure and at times up to 4 doe tags could be purchased and take my word for it if a hunter has 4 doe tags he dang sure does his best to fill them. The local processor would have piles of deer and antelope to be done and a line waiting most days. Ten years ago you could pull up to a center pivot irrigated alfalfa hay field and see several hundred antelope in and around. Now days you see very few or none and yet Wyoming still sells two doe tags per hunter. They do the deer the same way. They may be trying to lay off the decline there to CWD but I call BS.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #24  Post subject: Re: Manadatory CWD Testing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:19 am 
Whenever I see a biologist using a computer model as a basis for their argument my BS detector goes off the scale. Now I am sure not everyone of these people are like the ones I am familiar with but my experience is these folks have never worn out a pair of boots in the field and go to work and come home everyday in nice clean clothes. Office biologists are big on modeling dang short on field checking.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #25  Post subject: Re: Manadatory CWD Testing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:57 am 
You'll find that in a lot of professions, Mechanical Engineers that never get out in the plant and put their hands on the machinery cannot for the life of them understand why things don't line up just right like on the blueprints :scratch:

Offline Profile