Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #21  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:44 am 
twodog wrote:
Another big concern I have is the apparent lack of interest among deer hunters in this event.
I agree twodog. Lack of interest by Arkansas hunters concerning most all hunting related issues has been a longtime problem for our hunting sports. But this is one issue that if we don't get involved in could very well end a whole lot worse for us than possibly necessary. And the only way for us to try to prevent that from happening is we all make an effort to educate ourselves and make sure no one tries to do something drastic when maybe something less drastic would achieve the same or even better results. For myself though, if it comes down to our elk or our deer it would be unacceptable to me if a few hundred far ranging elk that only a few hunters are allowed to hunt were allowed to contaminate our deer herd that hundreds of thousands of us are allowed to hunt. But if we don't ban together and educate ourselves so we can better understand G&F's approach to this sport changing problem then we won't have a clue whether G&F is approaching this with a focus on protecting a few hundred showcase elk or are taking the best steps possible to protect our much larger deer herd. Hopefully though it's gonna be possible for them to control CWD without the wholesale slaughter of either species.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #22  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 am 
Results of 1st CWD public meeting as reported this mornin' by Bryan Hendricks of the Arkansas Democrat- Gazette:

JASPER --
Nearly 150 people gathered at the Carroll Electric Building on Monday to hear a presentation on the chronic wasting disease from biologists with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

....the AGFC announced it will kill between 40-50 elk and about 250 deer March 7 through April 1 within a five-mile radius of where the infected elk was killed.

A heated exchange occurred between John Butler, a landowner in Boxley Valley, which has a large elk concentration, and the panel. Butler said.........

Full article @:
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016 ... ue-201603/

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #23  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 am 
I would have thought that more than 150 people would have attended. I know there are a lot more deer hunters in Newton County than that. I am just left wondering why hunters seem to not be interested. I have some ideas none of which are particularly appealing to the future. :scratch:

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #24  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 pm 
150 isn't many when you consider this is the most important issue concerning deer huntin' that's come up in our lifetimes. Eclipsing even antler farming which not only destroyed Arkansas' traditional deer hunting heritage and watered down our huntin' skills as a culture, but now can greatly add to our newly found CWD problem if it's not addressed appropriately for the good of our overall elk and deer herds.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #25  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:11 pm 
I would not say hunters do not care. I thought 150 was a good show considering AG&F past history with public meetings.
I bet a lot feel as I do. Nothing I can do to change what I knew was going to happen at some point. Now that it is here I still feel about the same. Not anything I can do to change anything. I did see where they plan to kill every elk with in the 5 mile area. I even saw where request were asked to kill every elk by one man.

I do think our deer will survive this, question is will the fear management cause enough damage to change deer hunting in Arkansas over the next few years.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #26  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:18 pm 
As far as whether hunting deer will survive all I know is that it has where CWD has been for years or at least is has so far. In Wisconsin for a couple of years license sales declined then they rebounded. Last I heard CWD had no measurable effect on hunter numbers there.

I just seem to think that more people would have been interested in finding out what was about to happen in their backyards more or less. In Wisconsin in the 2002 governors race it was the most important issue.

Online Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
2012, Muzzleloader
Biggest Deer

Post #27  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:07 am 
One thing I think needs to be address, is the commercial processing waste and how its to be disposed of in the future. These places are cutting deer up and some are disgarding waste out back. Dogs come up and pull waste everywhere. Same could be said for taxidermist. They need to be disposed properly. Hunters should dispose of gut piles, stop leaving gut piles laying out. If they caught over 100 hunters transporting carcasses across state lines, we have to ensure the waste is not being left out in the open to be carried off from these mom and pop processing houses. Catching these guys transporting whole deer across lines is nearly impossible, so lets place another barrier as a safe guard. I could surely believe a hunter that doesn't hunt in state as much would burn a Ar tag to save from having to process a deer personally.

Last edited by firehog on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 am.
 Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #28  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:27 am 
I don't have any problem with gut piles left where the deer falls. Anything that deer has is already there. I would agree about hauling them around and dumping somewhere else. Processors have always been a problem. Since CWD showed up even a long way off rendering plants won't take everything and now I bet they will not take deer parts at all with it here. Other than health dept. regulations and ADEQ no one regulates even a little bit deer waste disposal. Lined landfills are it and they are not just everywhere. Look for deer processors to either quit or prices to go way up. I do my own so I don't worry about that part.

Online Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
2012, Muzzleloader
Biggest Deer

Post #29  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:18 pm 
Reason I say gut piles by hunters need disposal properly, and I also should have added carcass as well. But some hunters load up their deer right after kill and transport to their home to gut and cut up. If we do have more deer contaminated in that area, Moving deer just 20 miles and then throwing out back of house could easily spread a lot quicker. The disposal is the key thing in spreading. I just wonder if a carcass could be double bagged and buried and would that be safe? I know not everyone has land fill capabilities and incirerating is not feasible. You take 200,000 carcasses thrown out during a hunting season and we do have CWD spread in NW Ark, we've got problems. I hope they do some education this fall for hunters in that hot area on disposal.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #30  Post subject: Re: CWD Is Here
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:43 pm 
Disposal other than at the kill site is a problem to be addressed. I hunt a lot on some land just barely out of the 5 mile circle. I usually bone everything I kill there but starting this year I will leave the property with only boned meat and antlers, I hope, and nothing else.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #31  Post subject: Re: CWD Is Here
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:54 pm 
Bryan Hendricks said in an article in the Demo-Gazette the other day said that G&F's original CWD response plan called for establishin' a core zone with a 25-mile radius and 50-mile diameter. But G&F updated the plan in February after a positive CWD came back and reduced the core area to a 5 mile radius.

Also, if another animal with CWD is killed anywhere within the initial core zone, the site of that kill will become the center of a new 5 mile radius core zone. New core zones will be established as necessary from the site of each new positive kill until no more positives are found.

G&F as has been reported, will try to kill 40 elk and 250 deer in the initial 5-mile core zone in just 26 days so as not to interfere with spring turkey season in that area. They also said at one of the meetings I think it was, that for all practical purposes most if not all the elk in the initial core zone will be eliminated since it only contains an estimated 40-50 elk.

Also, Hendricks reported and G&F has said, if CWD is found to be prevalent in that area's elk herd, G&F likely will suspend the three-point rule for legal bucks in the area next season and significantly increase bag limits for the purpose of reducing the size of the deer herd.

We can only hope this thing has been caught early enough for us to avoid a worse case scenario.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #32  Post subject: Re: CWD Is Here
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:35 pm 
WW wrote:
We can only hope this thing has been caught early enough for us to avoid a worse case scenario.
Unfortunately our worst case senerio is fast turning into a distinct possibility because in an article today in the Democrat- Gazzett, G&F acknowledged the possibility that CWD has already spread beyond the Ozarks and they are now gonna prioritize the investigating of sick animals and suspicious roadkills in other parts of the state, including south Arkansas.

They also said they are gonna stop targeting animals for testing inside the core area and instead begin testing dead and sick looking animals within a 50 mile radius of the original core area to try to determine how widespread the disease is.

Full article @:
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016 ... -20160324/

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #33  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:14 am 
Just hope they can get enough samples from roadkill to accurately determine the boundary of CWD in that area of the state...

The way things have gone so far I kinda feel like they won't target any more healthy lookin' deer even after they determine the expanded CWD boundary but rather will probably just wait for this fall's harvest to try to determine the prevalence of the disease inside that whole area..... :shrug:

Also, does anyone know if Arkansas hunters inside or outside a CWD zone can have their deer tested for CWD on their own, and if so where and at what cost?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #34  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:34 pm 
At this time I am unaware of any way for hunters to get animals tested. I do not know if it is even being considered. I think Colorado does testing for hunters at 60 bucks per test but I do not know this for sure.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #35  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:48 am 
So here it is 2 months later and I'm wonderin' if anybody knows yet whether they are gonna continue with the large and expensive Bearcat Hollow project designed mainly to benefit Arkansas' elk herd. Best I remember that project is bein' financed mostly by some foundation and I'm wonderin' whether or not they and all concerned will step back and evaluate the situation before pumping any more money and labor into that project. As small as our elk herd is right now with the real possibility existing that we may not have a viable elk herd much longer it will be interesting to see where they go with that large labor intensive high maintenance project.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #36  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 pm 
I have never been a supporter of the Bearcat Hollow project. It was a poorly camouflaged project totally about elk but hidden behind turkeys and savannahs and all sorts of BS. My opinion is that instead of 60,000 acres in one spot I think turkeys, deer and all other wildlife would have been better benefitted with sixty 1000 acre projects spread across the national forest so everybody could get a little benefit.

I certainly hope any dreams of elk herd expansion are dead in the water. We cannot afford 600 pound long legged disease vectors traipsing all over north Arkansas spreading CWD.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #37  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:10 pm 
Awe come on twodog. Now tell us what you really think... :happy0035: We promise not to tell anybody else... :thumb:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2012 Trail Cam Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2013 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
"BIG" Co-Winner
2014 Tinest Tines Award

Post #38  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm 
:hesaid:
WW wrote:
Awe come on twodog. Now tell us what you really think... :happy0035: We promise not to tell anybody else... :thumb:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #39  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 am 
Talked with a guy that has been very active in the Bear Cat Hollow project yesterday. He said they plan to go forward with this falls work project and as far as he knows no changes due to CWD.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #40  Post subject: Re: CWD In Arkansas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:09 pm 
:no:

Online Profile