Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #21  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:05 pm 
Also deer in this part of the state are just like those elsewhere. They know the score. Put pressure on them they change habits fast. They are not going to stand around waiting to be shot.

Online Profile  

Winner
2011 Biggest Deer with ML

Post #22  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:35 pm 
Two dog we're in the same circle cause I don't see them getting more than 100 samples if their lucky

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #23  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:50 pm 
I just hope they don't keep beating the dead horse and waste manpower and money when in a few short months hunters can cover them up with samples from an area bigger than the 5 mile radius.

IMO they need to be working on those transient elk that could be traveling all over Newton, Madison, Carroll and south Boone counties spreading prions.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #24  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:18 am 
I really see nothing in the Ponca deer finding to change the elk removal strategy. If anything to me it illustrates the need for removing significant numbers of elk. Deer simply do not have home ranges the size of elk. Deer do not normally move 12 miles, elk do. It has been known for some time elk along the river move a lot on and off the river.

I smell a RMEF or Park Service rat. I hope I am wrong. We will see.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #25  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:15 am 
I have seen a unconfirmed report of a dead deer found near Erbie that is being tested. If this is true and is confirmed for CWD look for the zone to become enlarged again with a bulge northward. Erbie is between the other two locations on the north side of the river.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #26  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:10 am 
The horrible part of this disease is it lives in plants as well as animals, so it can be alive in plants when saliva, urine, or feces from an infective animal. Not sure if control burns might help eliminate some of the threat. But this has potential to really cause major fatalities in any given area. It's a very cruel death for these animals as well.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #27  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 am 
Burning has no effect on the prions. It takes temperatures far higher than can be reached in a normal fire to destroy them. They also persist in the soil more or less forever.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #28  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:14 am 
So from what I'm hearing this CWD is a disease that is going to be here from now on. An we really can not do anything about it.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #29  Post subject: Re: CWD positive deer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am 
Yes wherever it is so far as science knows at this time it is there forever. The best we can do is try to contain it into a small an area as we can knowing that over time any area will grow. The longer it can be kept as an example out of south Arkansas the longer "normal" deer hunting will remain. That is why it is extremely important for not only those of us in the proximity to CWD to know about what is going on all deer hunters need to be aware of how to keep it at bay for as long as possible.

This is why WW and I are campaigning about testing elk. These animals can and do move 30-40 miles on a yearly basis. All it takes is one infected elk to spread CWD over many square miles of new territory.

IT IS UP HERE. IT IS YOUR BEST INTEREST TO WORK TO KEEP IT UP HERE.

Online Profile