Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:45 am 
Last week they had a class in taking CWD mostmortem samples for testing. It was at the Texas A&M school of veterinary medicine, in the animal pathology lab. Class was free, sponsored by the Tex Animal Health Commission, TAHC. They have been training folks to take samples since around 2002, I think. There were 15 people in our class, and 45 goat heads to practice on. It was a real "hands on" class. They also gave all of us a pair of forceps and curved scissors of the type needed to do this. There were filed down spoons you could buy for $5. The class learned to extract the obex, the base of the brain stem where the spinal column begins at the base of the brain. and the postphryangal lymph nodes, which are in the lower jaw. all the forms for proper documentation , packing and shipping to 1 of the 2 testing labs in Texas was also covered. There were a couple vet types, 3 of my wildlife biologist friends from San Marcos and a couple groups of deer breeders / game ranch - hunter education folks. After the class we were certified by TAHC to take samples, which is required for deer breeding operations and wildlife ranches which have any of the cervid species which can get CWD. ( elk, red deer, sika deer, Moose) I was surprised to learn that Axis deer apparently do not get CWD. they have been tested, exposed to it and never have any been found to have it. With our calss there are about 700 people on TAHC's list of certified sample takers.

There are 2 test procedures you can have the lab run, one is $45 the other 30. the 45 takes a couple weeks for results. you fix the samples in formaldehyde and can store them for a while. ship at room temps the other type gives results in a few days but you have to ship fresh samples, overnite. same tissues are sampled for both here is a link to a video showing how to take the samples ( scooping out the brain stem with a filed down spoon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcB-v9cQtcw&t=6s

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #2  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:11 pm 
Interesting info grubbsi. Thanks for postin' it.... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #3  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 am 
:shesaid: However do you have to have that big of sample? Wouldn't a piece of the liver be adequate? :shrug:

Offline Profile  

Post #4  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am 
Liver wont do Must be the brain stem (obex) or the 2 lymph nodes just under. You only need about a 1/2" piece of the brain stem, you trim it down. It has to be the piece where the stem starts it has a distinctive V shape of tissue They never mentioned anything about the liver

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #5  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am 
The liver won't work as CWD is a disease of the brain and nervous system. The prion are present in other tissue but are not suitable for testing as yet.

The retropharyangeal lymph nodes are located in the throat near the pharynx. Not really in the jaw or at least as I interpret the location. Close to the tonsils.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:11 pm 
Didn't Game n Fish recommend not eating any vital organ??? Which isn't a problem for me, but a lot of folks love them some liver...I've had it like pulled liver sandwiches....not bad with barbeque sauce. Esp at camp with it cold and rain/snowing

https://youtu.be/cv2Hg2toxaE.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #7  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm 
I think that it is not recommended to eat anything of the nervous system and the lymphatic system. I do not recall anything about livers or hearts. I have seen to many deer livers with flukes to interest me in deer liver. Many like them though.

Online Profile  

Sponsor

Tony Malone's Taxidermy Studio

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winner
2010 Best Rub Contest
WINNER
2011 "Tiniest Tines" Award

Highscores: 13
Post #8  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 am 
Good info!

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #9  Post subject: Re: CWD sample collection w video
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 am 
I toured that place once back when I was in Education, quite a facility. Take in the Busch museum when your out there.

Offline Profile