Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #1  Post subject: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 am 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/scie ... rions.html

A friend sent me this. It is an interesting idea but it remains to be seen if it pans out. Parts of the Buffalo River and the Wildcat Hollow where CWD has been found are already intensively burned.

IMO elk are the smoking gun here and herd reduction or even elimination may be required to save deer. Sabotmakers land seem to be heavily infected with CWD and he has had elk there many years and still there. It just seems more than coincidental that now his deer are showing high prevalence.

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:20 am 
Interesting read. Especially the part about how this disease could spontaneously start. If its actually been around a long time why is it getting out of hand now ? Lack of predators and fire suppression ? That is 2 big ways we have disrupted the natural ecology that was here. Guess the indians who burned the woods every year were on to something.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 am 
From everything I've read about CWD I don't personally hold much hope in this researcher' fire theory. How would we completely burn 12 Arkansas counties including all private property and municipalities within those counties where CDW prions could be present? And what would keep already infected deer and elk from reinfectin' those counties? Even on a smaller scale like say sabotmakers place where you could eliminate every single deer and elk before it was burned so they couldn't reinfect the area, what's to keep other infected animals from movin' in and reinfectin' the area??? This CWD business is already 50 years old and gettin' worse without a cure in sight and I think a cure could very well prove to be just as illusive as a cure for cancer has proven to be.... :smack:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Profile  

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm 
Yes, its here to stay. I 'm just saying that in the past there might have been natural checks on it. Since wolves are not making a comeback, and no predators can make dent on the present deer population all that can be done is try to manage the situation. Be nice if we had a idea how to do that. On the other hand Axis deer appear to be immune and everyone agrees that they taste better than whitetail. They eat grass in addition to out competing whitetail for browse. What were the native browsers in the past in Arkansas, Elk, Buffalo ?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:38 pm 
IMO I think in some form or fashion it has always been here. Perhaps some factor suppressed the disease or limited spread. The hand of man has altered the world a lot. Even the Indians did. They had no great environmental insights. They set fires to promote grazing for buffalo and horses and for any number of reasons. Fire suppression as practiced for the last 75 years has done more harm than we will ever know. It is likely the biggest factor in the catastrophic wildfire we see these days. Just wait until the Rockies catch and burn millions of acres of beetle killed pines.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Trail Cam Images and Info

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2015 Highest Scoring Deer
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:17 pm 
I think part of the reason it didn't show up in the past is there wasn't anyone looking for it, there were no tests for it and the wasn't a ton of grant money out there needing justified. If it can pop up spontaneously, which my veterinarian friends think is very possible in the form of damaged or mutated proteins (RNA) there's no getting rid of it and it's always been here. If it can spontaneously develop and then spread if conditions are right, we'll never get rid of it. In years past infected deer likely died and were consumed by scavengers or just rotted away, like dead critters have been doing forever. How many sick deer have all of us seen, years ago, that we just figured were blue tongue, hemorrhagic disease or anything else, since we didn't even know CWD existed? How much of the "epidemic" is really just finding out what it is and that it's present? Give the government a problem and a reason to spend our money on it and there will be no end to it, only justification for spending more money. I still remember the chills I got every time some government employee from and alphabet agency (EPA, FDA, USDA, etc.) showed up at my farm with the greeting," I'm from the government and I'm here to help you fix........." . All that meant was I was going to spend a lot of my money, fill out a truck load of paperwork to do it and if there was a problem it would most likely be worse when they were done than it was before.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Interesting proposal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:11 pm 
:hesaid: Sam I think you have hit the nail square. The only certain fact known about CWD is that very little is truly known about it. If there is a good thing about CWD is that all the research into it may help with developing a treatment or prevention for the human prion disease.
Personally I have decided to not worry about it a lot and just operate as usual.

Offline Profile