Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm 
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission

Little Rock, AR 72205

Jan. 9, 2018

CWD confirmed in three (more) NW Arkansas counties

LITTLE ROCK
– Chronic wasting disease, detected in Arkansas almost two years ago, has been found in three more counties. Four white-tailed deer in Benton, Washington and Sebastian counties recently tested positive for the deadly disease, according to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

The deer in Benton County were a 2½-year-old doe near Decatur and a 5½-year-old doe near Springtown. The Sebastian County deer was an adult buck near Lavaca, and the one from Washington County was a 1½-year-old buck near Prairie Grove. All four were harvested by hunters during the 2017-18 deer season, and confirmed as CWD-positive by the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison.

Test results have not been received for all samples that have been collected; it’s possible more deer and elk could test positive for the disease. Since these positive samples were detected outside the current CWD Management Zone, the AGFC will continue their review to ensure all information is accurate.

“Although CWD is a serious threat to Arkansas’s elk and white-tailed deer, we are not the first to deal with the disease,” AGFC Director Pat Fitts said. “Our staff is prepared and, with help from the public, will respond with effective measures. We have learned from the experiences of 23 other states.”

CWD was first detected in Arkansas Feb. 23, 2016, when a hunter-harvested elk in Newton County tested positive. The first Arkansas deer with CWD was verified March 3, 2016, also in Newton County.

Public meetings in the area will be scheduled as forums to discuss plans and to answer questions.

CWD was first documented among captive mule deer in Colorado in 1967, and has been detected in 24 states and two Canadian provinces. It’s been found in the wild in 20 states and among captive cervids in 15 states.

The Commission has taken several steps to prevent the disease, which strikes cervids (deer, elk and moose), from entering the state. A moratorium on live cervid importation began in 2002, and the importation of cervid carcasses was banned in 2005. Moratoriums on permits for commercial hunting resorts and breeder/dealer permits for cervid facilities were put in place in 2006. Capturing white-tailed deer by hand was banned in 2012.

According to the CWD Alliance, the disease was discovered among captive mule deer in Colorado in 1967, and has been detected in 24 other states and two Canadian provinces. Biologists believe a protein particle called a prion is transmitted through feces, urine and saliva, and can survive for years in soil and plants. CWD can have an incubation period of at least 16 months, which means infected animals may not show symptoms immediately.

CWD affects an animal’s nervous system. Prions transform normal cellular proteins into abnormal shapes that accumulate until neural cells cease to function. Infected animals begin to lose weight, lose their appetite and develop an insatiable thirst. They tend to separate from their herds, walk in repetitive patterns, carry their head low, salivate, urinate frequently and grind their teeth.

Visit ArkansasCWD.com for more information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #2  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:09 pm 
Hmmm There was a captive pen at Lavaca that the exotics deer escaped from years ago. AGFC enforcement would not deal with the problem and no effort could be taken to eliminate the escapees. Is this outbreak related???? At this point in time who knows. There was a captive deer pen at Farmington that was closed and all living deer shot. There again is it related?? Beats me.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #3  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm 
Arkansas only tested 2,400 volunteered hunter samples this last season so G&F STILL doesn't have a handle on CWD. That's simply not near enough samples to be able to track and slow the spread of CWD. Hunter samples should be mandatory like they are in several other states, and they should get adequate numbers.... Missouri for example tested 18,400 mandatory hunter samples this last season. 2 more Arkansas counties last year, 3 more this season. Who knows how many more counties would be on the list if an adequate number of hunter samples were tested every year. A few counties here and a few counties there each season as CWD builds up an unabated head of steam at the current low rate of testing and it will be in all 75 Arkansas counties in record time....

But I'm guessin' G&F's CWD management philosophy isn't why adequate testing isn't being done. I'm guessin' it's the cost associated with that testing. So why aren't they taking a little Nature Center money and a little hiking trail and birdwatchin' trail money and other non consumptive management money if necessary and use it to get a handle on CWD? Why? Because CWD is apparently way down the priority list of the powers that be at G&F.... Apparently they'd rather build another multi million dollar Nature Center than take their part of that money and try to get a handle on CWD and slow it's spread across our state. Who knows, they might even end up saving a human life or two in the process if this disease ever makes the jump over to humans, like some researchers are now saying it might....

We need a Donald Trump type wildlife person runnin' that agency and a Commission that will get on board with him. Somebody who will challenge the status quo and think out of the box and won't rest until they find the money to aggressively fight for the health of Arkansas' deer herd. Granted there's been lots of CWD meetings over the years in a lot of states. Lots of CWD meetings going on in this state right now. All meetings are probably producing a ton of paperwork that's passed around to a lot of people. But the results of all those meetings and all that paperwork is that after the new wore off there's no longer much action in the field here in Arkansas, which means thousands of easily obtained hunter samples are going to waste at a time when CWD is starting to spread out of what G&F thinks is the only core area here in Arkansas. But is it? An adequate number of mandatory hunter samples taken in selected areas each season would answer that question. But that won't happen because G&F Administration and Commissioners are gonna use their money to help build another 15 million dollar perpetual money eatin' fuzzy feelgood Nature Center...... inside the CWD Management Area. Just how ironic is that ... :th_smilie_help.gif:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #4  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 am 
I am less concerned about the human health aspect than the damage to our deer and deer hunting heritage. The world continues to consume millions of pounds of beef each day even though BSE does cross species lines into humans rarely. BSE was found again this year yet USDA does not look at beef animals routinely or even randomly so far as I know.
Why is AGFC not looking any harder? I wish I knew. I wish they would just be honest and tell us. Hunters are being mushroomed on this subject. All the original hoopla and for the last year just dribbles of information and what is out there is severely lacking in details. I have my suspicions why this is going on but no proof. Now they will conduct more meeting trot out the same old script, give vague evasive answers to pointed questions, leave and go back to same old same old. There seems to not even be any interest in picking up road kills any longer. Like you said WW 200,000 plus hunter kills and 2,400 sample. Not much effort in that.
The entire blame for the mediocre effort and results lies with the 7 Commissioners. At any time at the monthly meeting the entire scope of the CWD program could radically change direction with 4 votes to do so. They and the governor that appoints them need to supply some answers. :twocents:

Online Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 am 
Twodog There was also a place North of Charleston that had captive animals off 217 or 215. At one time they had whitetail, fallow, and axis. They also had bears that were not black bears. They even had a bengal tiger. It was hunting under high fence. They had a acre pen they would release the bears in. They said you could not hunt the tiger, but I bet if the money was right it would have been moved to the pin.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #6  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 pm 
There are captive pens all over and I have been to quite a few but certainly not every one. I have never been to any I would have considered even remotely sporting and I would never call what goes on there hunting. I have never understood why anyone would ever be interested in shooting an animal like that.

Online Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm 
Heck I don't know about that pen hunting. I have hunted hogs in fence several times over the years.
A coupe times I have come home with nothing even while using a rifle. Also bow hunted some high fence exotic places with over 1000 acres under fence. I can tell you in those cases the fence only lets you know the animals are in there some where. I think it might even make it harder hunting due to the amount of hunters they are exposed to.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #8  Post subject: Re: CWD Confirmed in 3 More Arkansas Counties
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:42 pm 
I have seen first hand how pen owners manipulate animals by where they feed them and how many they put in shooting areas and where they allow shooters to go. IMO opinion all a sham and a shell game. It is as phony as a 3 dollar bill and you are being played the minute you show up.
I watched a video last year where a pen owner in Oklahoma was complaining about the new law there about transporting feral live hogs. Said it would put them out of business because they needed to buy 2,500 feral hogs a year to run their high fence hog shooting business. In no way can put and take shooting be considered fair chase traditional hunting. :twocents:

Online Profile