Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #21  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:01 pm 
wow! four weeks and all you are taking is Advil! There is at least one tough old bird left in Arkansas. How is the recovery going?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Trail Cam Images and Info

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2015 Highest Scoring Deer
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #22  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:30 pm 
Doing better, ribs are just sore now and not hurting all the time. Can't put any weight on my leg for at least another 2 weeks, maybe more, depending on what the Doctor says in two weeks. Boredom is about the biggest pain in the butt right now. Got satellite TV, I thought out of 140 channels there would be something worth watch'n most of the time, but I was wrong. As far as just taking Advil, I've got a pretty high pain tolerance and would rather put up with some pain over the doped up feeling you get with the hard stuff. Now the first two weeks when my ribs were really hurting and telling everytime a cell moved anywhere in my body, I wanted all and everything they'd give me.

Offline Profile  

Post #23  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 am 
I was unable to sleep last night at 1 AM I took a Oxycoton and slept till 7:30. I am thinking that I want to sleep and that trying to sleep with every cell in my body on alert for pain is like trying to swim the Mulberry in flood! I took the easy route: narcotics. I went where the stream took me instead of fighting it. I am not an addictive personality, and I think that I might be fighting for no good reason. I really liked the sleep.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #24  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:31 am 
I've got on an every other night pattern. I toss and turn and don't get much sleep one night and then I'm so tired the next night I sleep pretty good. I still wake myself up a lot tossing and turning in my sleep. I'll roll over and catch a rib just right or twist my broke leg wrong and I'm awake. The difference in the good nights and the bad is that on the good nights I go right back to sleep, on the bad I'm awake for a long time or if it's after about 4:00 AM or later I might as well go ahead and get up. It's getting better though. Can't tell much difference from night to night, but if I look back week to week I can see improvement.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #25  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:33 am 
rambored wrote:
I am not an addictive personality, and I think that I might be fighting for no good reason. I really liked the sleep.
From my longtime experience with narcotics and pain I think you did the right thing rambored. Years ago when my back first started givin' me problems, like you I wouldn't mess with the strong stuff because I didn't wanna take a chance on becomin' addicted to it. But as time went on and my pain became more severe I gave in and started takin' a narcodic when needed rather than wallow in pain all night and/or all day. Fast forward 40 years, 3 surgeries, and untold number's of other treatments and broken bones later and I still reach for the dope instead of turnin' into a couch potato and wallowin' in pain for untold hours, and I'm still not addicted. Depending on my level of physical activity I can go days without takin' anything stronger than an ibuprophen. Granted I built my pain tolerance up durin' my early years of refusin' to take the good stuff, but I look back now at all the painful days and sleepless nights and I can't believe how long I needlessly subjected myself to so much pain, not to mention how long I needlessly subjected my family and friends to so much of my complainin' about how much I hurt..... :smack:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Post #26  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:43 am 
We had a great Easter at my house. The Morrilton Eggs came for lunch, and deck time afterward. They went home mid afternoon and left WLE III with us. We had a blast. He is 8, and asked could he sleep with us. Sure. We went to bed about 10. I took a hydrocodone 7.5/tylenol 325 and slept well until 6:30! I did wake up a couple of time to pee. Seems like narcotics send messed up signals to my bladder. Bet I didn't pee a cup ful! Anyway, the good news is I had a pretty good sleep twice in a row. I am cleared to drive and will drive myself to Physical Training today. It will be tough, but it is worth it!
this is WLE III in June of last year. His first red snapper! I can't wait until this summer.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #27  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 am 
That's one fantastic snapper for a first one, now he's spoiled, your not going to top that one every time out.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #28  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:33 am 
Hey Sam glad you survived that, back in the day before the front and side airbags, not many would survive that wreck. When I first read your post and read the amount of time it took to get you out my initial thoughts were that took them a while to cut you out. But when I saw the pictures and realizing it was on its side I could see the time amount. Having an unstable vehicle and stabilizing it first adds to any extrication. Rolling a dash on its side adds to the time as well. If it was sitting on all four tires we could cut both driver side doors off, flap your roof back and roll your dash up in about 30-40 minutes with 5 guys and that all depends on how conscious the patient is, give or take a few minutes. Cribbing and stabilizing takes some time on rollovers.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #29  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 am 
I didn't know there were so many air bags in a truck, when it was finally over and the truck landed and was still again, it looked like some old lady had hung pink curtains all around the cab, couldn't see out for them.
I was very blessed and lucky to get out of that alive. It happen right in front of my church and I told the preacher I believed in God, Ford trucks and airbags after that.
One of the things I didn't know at the time I made the original post about this I said it knocked my truck about 75 feet. That was a guess because I never saw anything outside of the truck at the wreck, when they got me out I was strapped to a back board and the way my broke ribs were hollering I wasn't looking around much. Later when I got the police report it stated that my truck came to rest 210 feet from the point of impact.
The time it took for them to get me out was a lot more about how bad the wreck was than on the guys get'n me out. Van Buren County Rescue is all volunteers (a couple are full tie firemen in Conway and LR too) and they do great work. I know most of the ones that were working on me and they did good and were really careful about getting me out.
It'll be 2 years the 23d of this month, back to normal on about everything except I can forecast the weather with the metal plate in my left leg and the hit both knees took has jump started arthritis in both of them. But all in all, I'm just like Minnie Pearl, I'm just proud to be here! :yep:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #30  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm 
Yes Sir, glad you got through it and now have a story to pass on to others on how fast life can change in a blink of the eye. The crew that worked on your wreck had some challenges that are not normally faced on everyday extrications. Depending on how they rolled it, it’s not a easy roll on it’s side with patient being below most of the tool operation area. One can pull the steering wheel up but I doubt they did it like that. Due to needing the cribbing laying flat on hood, I’ve never done one but I’m sure that’s a possible option. Most will make rocker panel cuts and utilize rams. I did one last week with a unconscious person that we airlifted and the person being mostly in the floorboard it was a difficult extrication in the sense we had little dash to floor contact points that we could use. Small car and lots of plastic.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #31  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm 
I never did lose consciousness. I still remember seeing that 3/4 ton Ford with a brush guard on the front coming across into my lane, but it was so fast I just saw him start to move over and then BOOM. Friend of mine was inside his house about a mile away and heard it.
They cut the door posts and rolled the top back so they could get to me, check me out and work on me.Then they ran a cable around the steering wheel and pulled it up, but I don't know what they pulled with, I couldn't see it. That horse collar kind'a limits your view. I was still seated and holding myself up with my left hand on the ground and seat belt still on the whole time. Only my left leg was pinned, right beside the left side of the steering wheel. Only thing I wish had gone different, besides not having the wreck at all, was when they cut the windshield out they threw a white blanket over me like you get in the hospital. You know the ones that look like a fishnet. Anyway so much of the tiny glass pieces went right through blanket and on me that every time they got me out of bed at the hospital for 4 or 5 days they'd change the sheets to get the glass out. I was still shedding sparkly, glitter looking glass for a week. Left a trail. There weren't any pieces big enough to really feel, but you could see the glass grit when the light hit it.
I was also proud that I had been working out and riding a mountain bike almost daily for over a year before the wreck. The Doctors all said that being in good shape helped more than you'd think. I just wish I could get in that kind'a shape again, but the knees just won't let me workout that hard anymore. The morning of the wreck I rode my bike for an hour and cover 15 miles of dirt road. I got out of the shower and weighed 198, first time I'd been under 200 pounds in 20 years. Now I'm back up to 220 and although I ride a stationary bike, I can't turn the resistance up high enough to do a lot of good in the weight department. But, at least I'm still here and able to complain about it.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010,12,17 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
Muzzleloader
2012 Biggest Deer
Archery
2017 Biggest Deer

Post #32  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:52 pm 
Yes sir that glass can really be a problem and your right it's like a fine grit. The covers are like a mesh type soft cover. I bet they have the same rescue kit bag that we use with a center punch, saw, some hand tools and a cover and it folds up easy to get back in the bag. I always tell young guys on the job there are multiple ways to skin a cat, but when you skin one enough times and see how each work, you'll realize there are couple ways you'll rely on more than others. The only thing you have to be extremely aware of is every vehicle is different and airbags and their propelling system is different and located different. One would expect the bags would be deployed but not always. Imagine being on your side like you described and you side driver bag never deployed during the wreck and it deployed with you leaning on the side door. That's why it was crucial to take the time to stabilize the truck fully. Keep it from possibly falling back on all wheels and stop any potential movement totally. Don't need to cause even further injuries to you either. I bet they almost had to hook to the front of your vehicle with either spreaders then a cable or chain around your steering wheel.

Offline Profile  

Post #33  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 am 
I am wondering how your recovery has progressed. It will be two years this march that I had my knees replaced. A lot of water has gone under the bridge. I continue to work out, and have added Tai Chi and Yoga. The overall body conditioning has given me a sense of stability. I will start swimming laps soon. The Daly center says the pool is heated, but not enough for this old guy. I lost considerable weight after my wife of 45 years died last summer. I had my quarterly doctor visit last week, and got agreement to stop daily blood pressure medication. I feel more stamina just a week later! I strained my back last week doing Yoga, and Aleve is my friend. I must try to listen and not overdo. Right, that is going to happen.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #34  Post subject: Re: wreak
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm 
The broke leg, they put the titanium plate on, healed up perfect. I can tell weather changes coming and set metal detectors of really spectacularly. Ribs are mostly good, but still get a twinge or sharp pain every now and then,
, mostly when I'm tossing and turning in my sleep. The only things that are a lot worse than before the wreck are the knees. They both took a lick up under the dash in the wreck. The tibia, big bone, in the left leg split right down the middle from the top, about half way down. The right knee got a bolt or something about 3/8 to 1/2 in diameter jobbed right under the knee, didn't break the hide, but went in pretty good ways, still got a round scar there. As long as I'm moving I do fine, but if I'm still for any length of time they give me fits when I move. The other thing I can't do is go up a ladder carrying any weight. Can climb a ladder or stairs, but put a 50 pound sack on my shoulder and try it and I won't get off the bottom step. When I'm working out I do 30 reps of most stuff, but 10 deep knee bends is the limit. Therapists and Doctors all say the trauma they took has jump started arthritis in both of them. As one doctor said you've aged your knees 15 years in one hit, and 63 year old knees don't need aged. On the plus side they x-ray them every 6 months and say they actually look pretty good. I need to drop about 25 pounds, in the past when I decided to do that I worked out harder, now if I try and push hard enough to lose weight my knees act like a governor and shut me down. I do about 30 minutes of weights and some exercises the therapists lined me out on, then get on a stationary bike for an hour or more, at least every other day, sometimes more. I can pedal the bike all day as long as I don't crank the resistance up very high, but you need it dialed up high to burn calories. I ain't never been good with diets, I've always ate what ever I wanted and as much as I wanted. If I wanted to lose weight I just worked harder. Looks like I'm going to have to come up with a new plan.
Can't really complain, I'm better than I was afraid I'd be, just not as good as I hoped I'd be.

Offline Profile