Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:19 am 
“We recommend going through with these proposals despite public opposition,” Carner (Chief of the Wildlife Division) said Thursday.

And they wonder why nobody ever took the time and went to the expense to attend their so called public meetings...

I honestly believe that we as hunters desperately need to find a way to change the Arkansas Game and Commission's "my way or the highway" mindset, a mindset that has evolved as a result of passage of the sales tax amendment back in the late 90's that gave them financial independence from us. And the only sure fire way to achieve this needed change in my opinion is to work to get Amendment 35 and 75 changed in a way that will make Game and Fish Administrators and Commissioners accountable for what they do and how they operate, and how they now view and treat Arkansas' hunting community as a whole....

Below is an excerpt from an article in todays Arkansas Demo-Gazette written by outdoors editor Bryan Hendricks that adds context to the opening sentence of this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dick Baxter, assistant chief of the wildlife management division, also briefed the commission on the major proposals Wednesday at the commission’s monthly work meeting.

Three proposals address feral hog issues at WMAs. One would allow feral hogs to be killed on certain WMAs only during firearms bear, deer and elk seasons. Another would close all hunting seasons on Harold E. Alexander Spring River WMA from Jan. 5 to March 31, and a third would prohibit horses and mules on Harold E. Alexander Spring River WMA from Feb. 1 to March 31.

Baxter said these regulations would enable contracted trappers to remove feral hogs from Harold Alexander WMA and others more effectively. Baxter said that in 2013, hunters interfered with trapping efforts at Harold Alexander WMA by scaring feral hogs away from trap sites.

Baxter said the majority of public comments did not support these proposals.

“We recommend going through with these proposals despite public opposition,” Carner said Thursday.

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 pm 
It's sad at how similar the leaders of the AGFC sound like the leaders of this country where its all about money and power, not the people. :mad:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #3  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm 
This countries leaders have pretty well brain washed everybody. They are going to do things the way they want too. You just work an pay in your taxes. With that said.

Stumpfm6, thanks for joining us. :yep:

Offline Profile  

Winning Team
09 Turkey Contest
09 Big Turkey Winner
Winning Team
010 Turkey Contest
Winner Modern Gun
2010 High Scoring Deer
Judge
2010 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 1
Post #4  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:32 pm 
lots of police will have a G&F officer go with them so they have the right to enter your house. without them the police have to have a search warrant. Tell me how right that is??!!!!!

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 am 
What happened to Democracy? Last time I checked it means "People Rules", evidently the only voices that count are ones in a conference room with the door locked. Sad :sob:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:50 pm 
Weel that does not suprize me at all. The G&F is responsible for most of this States hog problems. Any one remember how it started? I had never seen or even heard of a wild hog prior to the slaughter of does in the early 90's. A lot of people kicked out a few hogs due to the lack of deer numbers. This I feel is how they got to Central and North parts of Arkansas.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm 
Now they want to shut us out of our public deer hunting areas so they can pay someone to trap them. Load of crap is all I have to say.

Offline Profile  

Sponsor

Tony Malone's Taxidermy Studio

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winner
2010 Best Rub Contest
WINNER
2011 "Tiniest Tines" Award

Highscores: 13
Post #8  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:55 pm 
I've always said those public meetings are a complete waste of time. :tantrum:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:39 am 
Well it is Monday morning and I will start the week off by making a bunch of you mad but that is just how it is.

First thing public meetings are a waste of everyone's time. I have been to way to many of those not to agree. Almost always a decision has been made before the meeting. Not always but most of the time.

The statement about game wardens not needing a search warrant is totally wrong. I have heard this before and don't know where it came from but that is not true. I was law enforcement certified for over 20 years and G&F is bound by the same constitutional guidelines as any other law enforcement entity. If you don't believe me contact the state attorney general and ask him. Entering anyone's home for a search without permission is illegal and any evidence recovered from such a search is inadmissible. As best I can remember the only time an officer can enter without a warrant is in a pursuit situation and even then there are certain restraints. If a game warden knocks on your door and searches your home without a warrant get an attorney because you can own them. Better than winning publishers clearing house.

Now about hogs. There have been feral hogs in Arkansas since the first white people with hogs came. They are not a recent event. The only people to blame for the expansion of hog range are hunters period. They have watched the outdoor channels glorifying hog hunting and are all fired up about wanting to do that too. Hunters have bought, captured, moved and released hogs all over Arkansas and trying to blame AGFC for this occurring is nonsense and shifting blame away from the actual guilty parties. Hog hunting is fun I've done it too and enjoyed it. However without question hogs are the most invasive species to deal with that wildlife managers face. As long as the situation does not improve through the ending of sport hog hunting and moving and releasing hogs by hunters it won't get better and native wildlife is suffering through the ignorance of hunters releasing them.

As far as ignoring hunters comments the process this year was sandbagged by dog hoggers commenting in mass and they even lobbied the legislature extensively to prevent real action from occurring.

I have been personally involved with the hog control effort. Hog hunters watch trapping efforts very closely and will intentionally disrupt control activity at every turn. Time after time when hogs were ready to trap hunters would move in and spook the hogs from the trap site primarily with the use of dogs. I have personally seed dogs with cut collars and tracking devices on trap sites and vehicle tracks coming to the area and seen where dogs were released.

Hunters will not ever effectively control wild hogs no matter what advantage could be given them. When you do something for fun it is just not in your best interest to eliminate the animal and you won't. Sport hunting also will never devote the time and effort necessary to eliminate hogs. Sport hunting mostly just kills a very few pigs and educates the rest making elimination that much more difficult.

The real difference between sport hunting and nuisance animal control is on every hog hunting show I have ever seen. Typical scene show some nimrod watching a feeder with numerous pigs under it talking about which one to shoot. The nimrod at some point shoots one or maybe two and gives a education to the rest about coming to feeders in daylight.

A nuisance control effort looks at 30 pigs under a feeder and starts working towards killing them all and not educating any by leaving any survivors. This involves a plan doing this with the most effective use of time and money possible and then move to the next site.

IMO the closures and steps mentioned in the article are to little and will be mostly ineffective other than in an isolated area or two. Doing nothing to control the problems as a whole.

Online Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:59 am 
I haven't been to any meeting in Arkansas but use to go to some in texas and it sounds about the same. They don't hold them for your input though they say they do. They hold them to inform you what they are gonna do most likely unless any of you guys are gonna bring a lawsuit.

Offline Profile  

Winning Team
09 Turkey Contest
09 Big Turkey Winner
Winning Team
010 Turkey Contest
Winner Modern Gun
2010 High Scoring Deer
Judge
2010 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 1
Post #11  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:16 pm 
Good to know about the search warrents. If I ever get in that position I will be sure to know what to do from that bit of news.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Bow Forum

Winning Team

2009 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Judge
2015 Best Rub Contest

Post #12  Post subject: Re: Arkansas G&F Gives No Consideration To Hunters Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm 
I think the search without warrant comes from being on the water with a fishing pole or in the woods with a weapon in your vehicle, probable cause that you are hunting or fishing, no warrant needed.

Offline Profile