Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Arkansas' CWD Response Plan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:35 am 
The purpose of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission's CWD Response Plan, implemented back in 2006, is to provide direction, guidelines and a specific course of action for monitoring and managing CWD in Arkansas.

With the recent discovery of CWD in one Arkansas elk, this plan will now take the spotlight and become an even more important tool in the fight against CWD here in Akansas. And I hope every one of us will take the time to educate ourselves about CWD so that in the days, months, and years to come, we as members of Arkansas' hunting community can constructively do our part to help G&F control CWD in our state.

Below is a link here on the Forum to G&F's CWD Response Plan as of this date:
http://thearkansashuntingandfishingforu ... N_2016.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Arkansas' CWD Response Plan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:25 pm 
Thanks for putting this up here. I am very glad to get up to date on this issue. It looks like the agency is taking this real seriously My 2cents is that increased harvest in the areas adjacent to the 5 mile zones they propose setting up would be one step to take. many areas have over population of deer. taking the population level down would decrease migration out of the area. it would also lessen the # of potentially infected individuals and their interaction with the general population. The plan states that in a way " liberalize season and bag limits"

I know we have CWD in Texas but it is not on folks "radar" despite the fact that more whitetail are taken here than any other state

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Arkansas' CWD Response Plan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:28 pm 
The Big Question is: Where did this elk pick this up at????? Especially in the middle of the state...or central anyway.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Arkansas' CWD Response Plan
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:33 am 
From the Response Plan:

Page 6
Management Actions

Eradication of CWD once it is established is unlikely because of the persistence of prions in the environment.
This plan focuses on detection and control of the disease with major efforts focused on containing the disease and
monitoring its prevalence within a defined area.

Free-Ranging Cervids

• Once a CWD-positive has been confirmed in a wild cervid, a CWD Core Zone will be developed. The
CWD Core Zone will be a sampling area with a radius of 5 miles (78.5 mi2 or 50,240 acres) from the point of
detection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A single CWD positive deer was confirmed to the public on April 25th on the north side of the Arkansas River in Pope County 55 miles south of the initial Core Zone. Yet no new Core Zone was established around it and no sampling was done as called for by G&F's Response Plan. Why???

The Plan clearly calls for "major efforts focused on containing the disease and monitoring its prevalence within a defined area." But there is at least one known positive wondering around the Arkansas River spreading it's diseased prions in an undefined area where no major effort is being focused on containing the disease and monitoring its prevalence. Granted there could be plans to focus on that area through hunter harvests come next deer season. But that's not what the Plan calls for. There should be a CWD Core Zone around that positive right now with the associated field work in progress. But there's not. Why???

Hunter harvests and results are still 5,6, 8 months away. How much farther will CWD spread along and across the Arkansas River and into how many more counties from the London area positive these next 6 or 8 or even more months while G&F waits on hunter harvests, test results, then possibly the implementation of new CWD regs? How high will the prevalence rate climb in that or any as yet undetermined positive area during all those months ? I'd guess no one knows for sure. Which means it looks on the surface to me like G&F is taking a huge and unnecessary gamble with our state's deer herd with their current passive field approach and major deviation from their published CWD Response Plan. Why?

I'm sure they have a reason. Why don't they explain it to us in a credible manner and without their usual spin and stop all the speculation????? Sometimes I think they thrive on controversy and aren't satisfied until they can create one. Divide and conquer. That's what they do to us....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile