Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:22 am 
I"m trying to move to Arkansas.... a few miles west of Norfork across the river. Can you hunt/target shoot (plink) IN the Ozark national forest? I ask as the property backs up to the forest there where 71 (off of 341 going north west) hits the river.

Regards, mitch

Offline Profile  

Post #2  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:24 am 
I should mention that the property has 125 ft. of river frontage which seems to be enough to build a small dock? Are there restrictions about what kind of, and where you can build one? Permits?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #3  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 pm 
I don't know anything about regs up that way. But it is a nice part of state.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
The Chuck Wagon

Highscores: 4
Post #4  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:29 pm 
:Welcome: Nice area,but like swb, I can't help on the regs.

Online Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm 
I'm no expert I haven't ever even been up there but looking at Google Maps, and zooming in with a satellite view those other houses along the White there where you speak of, I don't see a dock on any of them. Surely if they were allowed most all those home sites would have one, I do see a boat ramp behind one. That sure looks like pretty country and I read that the fishing is top notch. Take a look on google maps at The Little Red below Greers Ferry, same type of set-up with the home sites right up on the river bank, and dang near everyone of them has a dock and even boathouse, I bet the White is protected against such structures.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 am 
You can hunt in the Forrest and plink also. There are several designated shooting ranges also within the Forrest.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/osfnf

Your area contact:

Sylamore Ranger District
1001 E Main St.
Mountain View, AR 72560
(870)269-3228

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 am 
Nice area of our State to call home. I am with Hip on the dock. Only ones on the river I know of are commercial fishing operations. Unlike the Little Red River where there privet docks all along that river. A lot of houses have nice walks down to the river. The hunting seems to be pretty good in the area as well. I know there is good hunting around the lakes as well.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2010 Deer Contest

Post #8  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:10 am 
Same area I plan on moving to one day.
From what I was told is no on the dock unless you have very deep pockets. Some private homes do have docks that were permitted decades ago. From what I was told you must purchase and then transfer the dock rights to you. No new dock permits are not being issued.
That is what I have been told over the years from fairly reliable sources so take it with a real small grain of salt.
I did see a riverfront home for sale in the area a few months ago that did have dock and rights to keep it.

I bet zoomworns on here would know for sure.

Offline Profile  

Post #9  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:56 am 
there is a Game and Fish free launch right across the river at Norfolk. The river rises and falls so much that a dock is not a dock in a classic sense. It is a floating platform secured to the bank. Most banks are so steep that it is not a pleasant stroll down to the river. That said, that part of the world is GREAT! Get a jet and a heavy duty aluminum boat. you will find out why pretty soon after starting to fish the area.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2012 Trail Cam Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2013 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
"BIG" Co-Winner
2014 Tinest Tines Award

Post #10  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:17 pm 
:Welcome:

Offline Profile  

Post #11  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 am 
So here's the deal... the house I'm looking at has flooded three times; once in 04, once in 07 (so sez the real estate agent but I'll bet it was that HUGE flood in 08) and again in 15. So I'm treating this like I'm buying just the main floor of the home. What she (yaw'll) call here in Arkansas a "basement" is really just the bottom floor of a house on a hill. I live in south Texas and we don't have basements, all I've ever known as a basement is sub main floor: i.e. under/below the first floor. So that said, I'm treating this as a remodel for the "Arkansas basement" so's to make it water friendly. I'll brick up the wall say, 4 feet (no more wet sheet rock), leave the floors stained concrete, and just use it when a flood is NOT threatening! Anyway, as soon as I have a few more posts I"ll put up a pic. I don't own this yet but I"m trying!
It looks to me that if were you to put in at the house, a drift boat would travel about 15 or so miles to get down to the ramp at Norfork. That would make for a great day wouldn't it? And as Hip says, there is a boat dock that (apparently) goes with/can be used by, those of us in the subdivision.

And thanks to all for the welcomes and comments!

regards, mitch

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #12  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 am 
Flooding three times is a major concern or would be for me. Water in a house is never good. Moisture is hard to get out and could lead to mold issues. I assume the walk out side is frame. Bricks will not stop water from entering the lower section. Bricks on the interior will also hold moisture long enough to cause mold problems. I would want to build a flood wall and would deduct that cost from the price I was willing to pay for the home. When the lake is full they will let all the water go regardless who gets flooded out.
Also if you are going to finance any of this purchase you will have to purchase flood insurance. I would think it would be very expensive giving the property history(three floods in the last 13 years).

Any way good luck it can be done. I would just make sure you go in covering yourself and knowing it will be a hard property to sell.

Offline Profile  

Post #13  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 am 
Thought I would resurrect this thread, since I am also planning to move to Arkasas. Not very far from Norfork lake, too. As a matter of fact, that is the main reason I found this forum.

Don't have a place picked out. Still looking around.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #14  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm 
Welcome and that is a great part of Arkansas to live and enjoy. When you get it all figured out you will have to tell us when and where the fish are biting or take us fishing.

Offline Profile  

Post #15  Post subject: Re: I am thinking of moving... to your state.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:59 am 
Heck the rules change every year around Norfork,,, sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission... Call calico rock the lady will help you out,,, but heck I would do it anyway.... I mean its not like we are City Folk or nuttin.

A-MEN

Offline Profile