Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Highscores: 1
Post #21  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm 
It's been terrible down here. The birds are not gobbling at all. I've heard a total of 3 gobbles all season.

On Thursday I heard a turkey gobble about 7:15 very near me at a crow. :surp: Only had to move about 20 yards and got set up. Called and he answered. :thumbsup: ...Less than 5 mins I see him coming. :victorysmileygreen: ... It was a big Jake! :smack:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #22  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:04 am 
Getting ready to head out again. I sure hope they gobble. The weather looks to be the best this week. predicted windy the next couple days and in the mountains when the wind blows it blows hard.
I am not real optimistic at this point. Between the weather and turkeys naturally contrary attitude it ain't looking good.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #23  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm 
Heard one gobble several times but not a lot moved to him and another "hunter" who had seen me on the roadside as he was driving in came in and screwed the hunt up. I use the word hunter as I do not need the AHFF police after me for using accurate terminology.

Online Profile  

Post #24  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 am 
Tuesday morning was a beautiful day. Best turkey huntin' day of the season down here. 48 degrees and clear. Not a puff of wind. Every bird was singing their hearts out except the turkeys... Never heard a gobble! Very disappointing.. :roll:

I didn't go this morning.. :th_no.gif: ... Maybe tomorrow.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #25  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 pm 
I went this morning and heard three. Got tight on one and real hens cut me off before he flew down. Game over. Went after another one in a real steep hollow with multiple bluffs. Two hours later he was across the creek and would not cross. Whipped again then had to climb out a long tough climb especially for and old guy. At least I had some action and saw some beautiful mountain scenery including a nice waterfall.

Online Profile  

Post #26  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am 
in reference to HIP's post about his buddy who wants to get a lot of turkeys. My Texas license has 4 turkey tags this year 3 are rio grande only and one is east Texas or rio grande. I guess his friend may be going way out of state to do some hunting. My cousin who is really into turkey hunting does that. I talked to him the other day and he goes out a little every morning before he goes in to work.

I have been hearing some gobbling at my house 7 miles west of town, in Texas. dont know if they're pets or wild. its a area of 2 - 10 acre lots with plenty of domestics and wildlife all over. Got a neighbor who has a flock of turkeys with a couple of peacocks that run with it. Cant tell if the toms are part of the domestic stock or some wild ones that attached to the flock and mosey around with them. Get fed and not harrassed. I dont think anyone around here hunts turkeys, or if so they probably go to their hunting leases. Most folks out here are really city folks who think the deer mowing down their gardens are cute

Grandpa Phil hunted turkeys a lot back in the 30-40s. There were no deer in south-central Arkansas then I 'm told. He used a double barrel 10 gauge which my folks have now. Was that a common size back then. Are there many of those old family shotguns around anymore.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #27  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm 
Another cold windy day in the mountains. I heard one turkey gobble one time close but never heard another sound. Covered a lot of new country and saw a lot of nice Ozark mountains but that's about it.

Online Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #28  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 am 
My brother has an old 10 gauge double barrel like Micah use to carry on the Rifleman, I keep asking him to let go of both barrels at once he won't do it, just one is a heck of recoil. :happy0035: I remember fondly Texas Turkey hunting, was out in West Texas goat hunting and shot a Rio Grande with a .303 from what seemed like a mile away, an impossible shot. But I remember my buddies always going for a Texas slam, Rio Grande, Merriam's and a Eastern. Sound like your tags don't allow that anymore, wonder what's up with that?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #29  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:51 pm 
Cold, 36, windy very little gobbling. A broken record. This season is a real stinker.

Online Profile  

Post #30  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
Been the same here, no gobbles and crappy weather until this morning. Finally got a couple of gobbles and harvested a nice 21 lb bird after an hour and a half working him sparingly.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #31  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 am 
I heard three maybe four yesterday. I got on two that were roosted close together. They responded every time to tree calls. When fly down time came they shut off completely. Sat and waited until if began to rain a little maybe 45 minutes. Nothing. When I was walking out I heard a gobble close by and went to it. He never gobbled again.
I have been hunting turkeys hard for close to 40 years and it looks like this is going to be only the second time I will not kill a turkey in that time. I have not seen or called in a hen or jake this year and cannot ever remember that happening before. In my part of the Ozarks turkeys are in a bad way. Reminds me of the times when there were very few up here and I think that is the situation now. For all the jake rules late openers and so forth it has made no difference that we are hunting on the hatch up here and for two years there has not been a hatch here. It shows.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #32  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:53 pm 
Well it is over and really it was before it started. Worst season I have ever had. I heard enough gobbling I guess but the turkeys simply would not close the deal. I have not seen a live turkey in the woods this season. Only time I can remember that happening. If it does not turn around up here the Ozarks are in big trouble.
I think I may go to South Dakota next year and try the Merriams in the Black Hills instead of beating myself up here.

Online Profile  

Post #33  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:08 am 
Same down here. Worst season ever. The birds never gobbled at all after season opened and very very little before season. I never sat on a gobbling turkey all season except for that Jake I called up...

We have the turkeys, tracks and sign everywhere. My personal opinion on what caused very little gobbling down here is the birds came out of winter in poor shape. Last fall we had a very bad mast crop and what mast we did have the deer and hogs ( :smack: ) quickly ate. This combined with the extremely cold temps we had equaled low body weights in the birds coming into spring.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #34  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am 
I tried to talk to the local Regional biologist about the poor turkey numbers up here and the poor hunting and was told they did not want to discuss it. I think there was a long line of complaints ahead of me :poundfloor:

Up here we do not have turkeys years of poor hatches have come home and it will be worse next year because even with a spectacular hatch jakes are not legal. So all we will have are the very few jakes from this spring and the few adult birds that live to next year. Dismal prospects at best. It is a cinch that the current AGFC management strategy is failed up here. They need to wake up and we all know how likely that is.

Online Profile  

Post #35  Post subject: Re: They've Started Gobbling Down Here!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 am 
twodog wrote:
I think there was a long line of complaints ahead of me :poundfloor:

:poundfloor:

Offline Profile