Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm 
Check Daily Prescribed Burns Schedule During Turkey Season and Hen Nesting Period:
http://www.arkfireinfo.org/index.php?do:showPBurns

Below are the Forest Service contact numbers for those who wanna call and complain to the Forest Service Supervisor and/or the District Ranger when they conduct one of these burns during turkey season and when hens are laying and nesting and when poults haven't feathered out and can't fly, and especially when overall turkey numbers are low like they are now.

Ozark--St Francis National Forest

Supervisor's Office
Judi Henry, Forest
Supervisor
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
479-964-7200

Ozark District Offices

Big Piney Ranger District
Big Piney Ranger District - Hector Office
12000 SR 27
Hector, AR 72843
Phone: (479) 284-3150

Big Piney Ranger District - Jasper Office
P.O. Box 427
Hwy 7 North
Jasper, AR 72641
Phone: (870) 446-5122

Boston Mountain RD
P.O. Box 76
Hwy 23 North
Ozark, AR 72949
Phone: (479) 667-2191

Magazine RD
P.O. Box 511
Hwy 22 E & Kalamazo
Paris, AR 72855
Phone: (479) 963-3076

Pleasant Hill RD
2591 Highway 21
Clarksville, AR 72830
Phone: (479) 754-2864

St. Francis RD
2675 Hwy 44
Marianna, AR 72360
Phone: (870) 295-5278

Sylamore RD
1001 East Main
Mtn View, AR 72560
Phone: (870) 269-3228
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouachita National Forest
100 Reserve Street
P.O. Box 1270
Federal Building
Hot Springs, AR 71902
(501) 321-5202

Ouachita District Offices

Caddo/Womble Ranger District
Gloria Chrismer, Ranger (Womble office)
Caddo Office
912 Smokey Bear Lane
Glenwood, AR 71943
(870) 356-4186
Womble Office
1523 Hwy. 270 E.
Mount Ida, AR 71957
(870) 867-2101

Jessieville/Winona/Fourche Ranger District
Megan Moynihan, Ranger (Jessieville office)
Jessieville Office
8607 N. Hwy. 7
Jessieville, AR 71949
(501) 984-5313
Fourche Office
P.O. Box 459, Hwy. 10 E.
Danville, AR 72833
(479) 495-2844
Winona Office
1060 N. Fourche Ave.
Perryville, AR 72126
(Call Jessieville Office)

Mena/Oden Ranger District
Tim Oosterhous, Ranger (Mena office)
Mena Office
1603 Hwy. 71 N.
Mena, AR 71953
(479) 394-2382
Oden Office
P.O. Box 332
Oden, AR 71966
(Call Mena Office)

Poteau/Cold Springs Ranger District
Various pending permanent assignment, Ranger (Cold Springs Office)
Poteau Office
P.O. Box 2255
Jct. of Hwy. 71 & 248
Waldron, AR 72958
(479) 637-4174
Cold Springs Office
P.O. Box 417
2190 E. Main Street
Booneville, AR 72927
(479) 675-3233

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm 
The fire over on Long Hollow Road on the south side of Nimrod Lake here in Yell County today is being conducted by the Jessieville District. Those who want to protest this burn in the middle of turkey season in this very popular turkey huntin' location where a lot of hens are already nesting can register your complaint at the Jessieville District office at 501-984-5313. And I hope everyone who reads this that is against these kind of burns during turkey season and when hens are nesting will call and lodge a complaint whether they hunt this area or not.

I think these burns are probably killing more turkey than our fall season ever did, and at a time when turkey hunters are sacrificing trying to help build up Arkansas' overall low turkey numbers. Granted burns may not have much of an impact on overall turkey numbers when those numbers are high, just like a fall season doesn't as long as the kill is kept below 10% of the overall flock. But overall numbers are low right now. So hence as hunters we are saddled with a short and late opening spring season and no fall season. And there also should be no prescribed burns during the season or during the hen nesting period while overall turkey numbers are low.

So I personally think it would be in our best interest and the best interest of increasing our turkey numbers to keep the governments phone lines hot with our complaints every day they schedule a burn no matter how large or how small during the season and throughout the hen nesting period for as long as Arkansas' turkey numbers are down and we have these short late opening seasons because of it. Or I HOPE this is why we are having these short late opening seasons and aren't gonna be stuck with them from now even after our turkey numbers come back.... :smack:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Hiking,Camping,Boating

Judge

2011 Trail Can Contest

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:29 am 
They will re-nest, even if there eggs have hatched into little poults that can't escape the fire, just ask the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. Its almost funny when I hear this but then it tic's me off cause I cant hunt the fall now with my bow but they can burn the little suckers up in the spring!!! :censored: :tantrum: :mad:

P.S. If they renest after a burn then thats 28 days sitting on eggs. If they lay an egg a day for 10 days that 38 days. Thats puts hatch time June 7th if renest starts today. :smiley1735: :laughsmile: :smiley1735: :laughsmile: That 38 days is in a perfect world, probly would be more like 45-50 days, it aint happening they cant sale me that crap!!

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 am 
:hesaid: Plus it can double up the time a varmint has to find those eggs...figure at minimum 21 days of laying, then 28 days setting, that's 7-8 weeks for eggs to be found. Then to have to do it again???? And around here I don't think I know of any place (but I'm not a turkey, but I was an avid trapper) a turkey nest could last 7 weeks w/o being found by a predator of some sort. I truly believe the clear-cuts were helping nesting turkeys back during the "boom days".....Well then the poults are vulnerable to birds of prey and predators again for a period...A turkey has a rough life, a lot like a rabbit, everything's trying to make a meal out of them. They need all the breaks they can get during this time!! :scratch: :twocents:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:07 pm 
The Forestry Commission has nothing to do with these burns so calling them is a waste of your time and theirs. They are only the agency that handles all burn information and wildfire supression. If the US forest Service is doing the burning then call the ranger district reponsible for the burn and the Forest Supervisors office. Complaining to the wrong people won't help the cause.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:31 pm 
twodog wrote:
The Forestry Commission has nothing to do with these burns so calling them is a waste of your time and theirs. They are only the agency that handles all burn information and wildfire supression. If the US forest Service is doing the burning then call the ranger district reponsible for the burn and the Forest Supervisors office. Complaining to the wrong people won't help the cause.
Thanks for the heads up twodog. I corrected the contact info in the first post. Hopefully I got it right this time...

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Check Daily Burns During Turkey Season & Hen Nesting Period
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 pm 
No problem. I strongly agree that burns at this time of year are a real bad idea.

Offline Profile