Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm 
Arkansas Game and Fish Commissioners in their monthly meeting today budgeted $375,500 from unobligated federal Wildlife Restoration grant funds to support a multi-year No-Jake Harvest Research Project and a budget increase of $44,200 for approved National Wild Turkey Federation Superfund projects to support turkey habitat projects around the state.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Profile  

Winner
2011 Biggest Deer with ML

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 am 
Which means we've been bought out again........

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #3  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:59 pm 
Would be nice to actually see where the monies go. I mean be there to make sure it is used for the purpose intended.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 pm 
I can't see near that much money needed if the study is done in-house, unless of course all the participants are gonna get a new truck and new computers and new smart phones and GPSs and maybe even a brand new leased office building for the study. Which actually is a real possibility considering the way Little Rock has operated ever since they started feeding on filet mignon and lobster at the public trough when the sales tax amendment just barely passed.... :smack:

But they'll probably pay the big bucks to some outside company or some college professor to conduct the study like they do some of their other studies, of which no telling how many they NEVER release to the public. I say never release to the public because short of filing a FOI request through the court, a few years ago I tried several times to get my hands on a study they outsourced to UAM back in 07 or 08 on the effect of the 3 point rule on antler quality here in Arkansas, but I was stonewalled every step of the way and never was allowed to see that study. All I can assume is that it must not have agreed with their personal antler farming agenda because if it had don't you know they woulda touted and published and plastered that thing all over the place, and would probably still be doin' it today....

So, if this new no Jake harvest study doesn't fit their turkey management strategy I personally won't be surprised if we never see or hear of the study or all that money again and they simply continue on with their no Jake rule in this late short turkey season they've so generously created out of the goodness of their hearts for all us peon turkey hunters....

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:32 pm 
Don't see how it takes so much money to figure out that not shooting 1 year old birds will equal more 2 year old birds.....That's not the problem with our turkey population...Just like in family budgets, a little common sense can have much more affect than all the wild notions we could conjure up over years.

Offline Profile  

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:12 am 
Coindude wrote:
Don't see how it takes so much money to figure out that not shooting 1 year old birds will equal more 2 year old birds.....That's not the problem with our turkey population...Just like in family budgets, a little common sense can have much more affect than all the wild notions we could conjure up over years.

my thoughts exactly.

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:29 am 
I would think looking at past harvest records would give a lot of valuable information. A study of 1 to 2 year old toms mortality rate I assume is what we will be getting. The question is how in Sam Hills name will they try to gather that information.

The Jake regulation has never been that big of a deal to me. Most seasoned turkey hunters are not shooting Jakes anyway. The question is hunter opportunity. How many of the Jakes die anyway that a hunter might could have killed?

Offline Profile  

Winner
2011 Biggest Deer with ML

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:55 pm 
I've read several different states studies on gobbler kills and jakes vs two and three year olds......every one with the exemption of Arkansas say they were looking for a 50 - 60% reduction in male turkey population every spring with positive results and NOT burning the woods down in late march and april you have to do it in late december intot late february

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:08 am 
Just wonderin' how not killin' Jakes one year puts more turkeys in the woods the next year? So far it hasn't done didly squat to increase our turkey population. I'd think the jakes just simply replace all the 2 year olds that were killed the year before and preadtors probably get any that's left over. So how could they provide enough of a bump as 2 year olds to justify protectin' them?. Or could it be that G&F is just practicin' Quality Beard control.... :scratch: I say if a turkey gobbles, if it struts, and if it can be worked with a call then it should be legal meat for any hunter who wants to take it.....

Online Profile  

Sponsor

Tony Malone's Taxidermy Studio

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winner
2010 Best Rub Contest
WINNER
2011 "Tiniest Tines" Award

Highscores: 13
Post #10  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:02 pm 
Turkey farming?? :smile:

Maybe a 10" minimum beard to harvest??

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #11  Post subject: Re: Multi-Year No-Jake Harvest Research Project
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:53 pm 
There's already Antler Farming, I guess this can be Rope Growing... Oh well that's the world we live in. Bigger is Better, and tender is undesirable!! 20 years ago it really didn't matter, antlers were just wood shed decorations until someone wanted to make a knife handle. That's back when Misters were Misters and Madams were Madams and they joined together to make a family. The only time two guys slept near each other was at Deer Camp. :th_smilie_help.gif:

Offline Profile