Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #21  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 am 
twodog wrote:
WW wrote:
Well....it's pourin' down here now! Guess I'll spend the day sharpenin' fish hooks in anticipation of the conclusion of turkey season... :thumbup:

Do I need to start buying turkey livers????? :happy093:
YES!!!!! Next month is the month and this month is already half gone... :excited:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #22  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:03 am 
The wind was still and the moon was finally shinin' bright when I arose this AM at 4. But unfortunately my old legs said no to another trip up a mountain or two this mornin'. But oh well. At least this will give my old butt a chance to say yes to ridin' the mower around the yard today... :thumbup:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #23  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm 
I have been going every day and have been hearing some tree gobbling. They are still henned up as far as I can tell. At least the ones I have got on always seem to have hens around. By about 8 it is all over. Maybe tomorrow

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #24  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm 
Whipped again. Gobbled hard from 7 till 9:30 last time maybe 60 yards out. Then a long silence. If he snuck in he did a good job.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #25  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 pm 
The last two days have been wet soggy and windy and we have not positively heard a gobble. Seeing a few other soaked hunters and a lone hen crossing the road and loads of deer. Don't drive Hwy 7 north of Dover in the dark without paying attention. The roadsides are loaded.
What has to be one of the worst seasons I have ever hunted in is mercifully winding down. My 63 year old knees are telling me that in a few years I won't be a regular player in the turkey game.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #26  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:22 pm 
Can't say I've ever had one come up and try to eat the barrel off my shotgun.... :surp: :happy0035: Don't think this was in Arkansas but..... this dude, or dudette, must be steady as a rock and have some fantastic camo to have gotten this video clip... :yep:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #27  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:22 pm 
My buddy and I made a big round in prime country where we had heard as many as 5 gobbling this season. We heard nothing, saw nothing except deer. It was a little windy but not impossible and in the low 40's. Covered 6 miles according to Google earth as a crow flies somewhat further as a crow walks. Spent 4 hours and only sat down once. South Newton county is nice this time of year but would be better if the turkeys would gobble.
Only two days left but I think it is already over.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #28  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 pm 
Probably the best morning weather wise of the season. Thirty eight degrees when I left the house. Unfortunately the turkeys at the first spot were not talking. After walking out an old log road I headed to another spot. I did hear two at this spot and they answered the call and hung around but eventually walked off and quit. Such is turkey hunting this year. Stinks on ice.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #29  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 am 
It is over for another year and I stand by my opinion that the season around here was terrible. I did hear three the last day and actually called them and their hens in. I saw the gobblers but it was so green I could not get a shot. I could not see any beard or heads even though they were within 40 yards. From the gobbling I am convinced at least one was a jake. They quit gobbling right after hitting the ground and it was all over by 8. They moved around and down the mountain and my knee was really sore so I let them go and came in.

It is so green up here that it is hard to hear one more than a couple hundred yards and harder still to see anything. I am convinced we need an April 1 opener to have much of a chance to work turkeys with any reasonable expectation of success. You south Arkansas guys are really screwed.

Online Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #30  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:34 pm 
twodog wrote:

It is so green up here that it is hard to hear one more than a couple hundred yards and harder still to see anything. I am convinced we need an April 1 opener to have much of a chance to work turkeys with any reasonable expectation of success. You south Arkansas guys are really screwed.

:hesaid:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #31  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 am 

Son and buddy called up and got this 4 bearded Tom, 20 Lbs. Only cap I busted was at a yote at 10 steps and closing, 3 inch longbeards, piled her up...but she lived until we had to finish her off with a pine knot.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #32  Post subject: Re: Any Arkansas wild turkey tales to tell yet?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:42 am 
WW, can't say I've ever had one to peck the bead of my gun...Wow, great footage!!!

Offline Profile