Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #1  Post subject: Turkey Ammo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 am 
Back a long time ago when I started turkey hunting ammo for hunting turkeys was often just high brass shells in your favorite shot size. If you were a real turkey nut you had a 3 inch magnum or maybe even a 10 gauge. Fast forward about 40+ years to today and it is a whole different game. Specialized turkey ammo is a big deal for the ammo makers and turkey hunters. One of the latest and in my own experience the best I have ever shot is Winchester Long beard. This ammo is absolutely deadly with head ripping patterns to ranges that are almost to good to be true. At 40 measured yards in my turkey gun there are so many pellet holes in a turkey head neck target that they are almost impossible to count. In fact at very short ranges less than 20 yards it would be easy to miss a turkey they are so dense. Great stuff for a guy like me that believes it is hard to hit a gobbler to hard.
Now we are seeing Federal TSS turkey loads with super dense tungsten super shot. I watched a you tube video last week and the shooter was getting turkey killing patterns at 40 yards with a 410. Two drawbacks though. Patters are so dense that close range is like a rifle and the ammo is $10.00 and shot and up. Out of my price range. A couple years ago I watched a video of a guy handloading this shot and shooting patterns into a sand box. The shot was so expensive he was recovering it out of the sand and loading it again.
These days with short seasons and fewer turkeys a hunter has to give themselves an edge to make a shot count. If you have not tried some of the newer stuff you owe it to yourself to look at them.

Online Profile