Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #1  Post subject: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:55 pm 
Here we go. A real game on ESPN right now Cubbies and Cardinals. Season begins. Lester looks good on the mound for the Cubs but the Cardinals are running on him, stealing him blind. It's early Cardinals up 1-0. Jon Lester is sure nuff the ace of the Cubs pitching staff but has always had trouble holding runners on base. Like I said it's early Cards have already missed 5 chances to score but did finally scoot one across the plate. You'll take what you can get against Jon Lester.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:20 am 
OK we waiting 151 days for this. Cardinals pickup a couple more runs off a two run homer by Randal Grichuk . Good thing Cubs score three runs in the ninth to tie the game 3-3. Then Randal Grichuk drives in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. OK its a wrap, Cardinals in first place Cubs in last place, the season can end now. :thumb:

This may be the only time this year I can say that, humor me :happy0035:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Winning Team
2010 Deer Contest
Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
Winner
2012 Best Rub Contest
2012, Muzzleloader
Biggest Deer

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:44 pm 
Wainwright not looking his best but did pull out of the bad inning he had. Cecil looked real good. Matt Adams in left looked real shakey.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 am 
This will be short and not so sweet. Cardinals have really been struggling, glad its early and they can pull out of it and still have a season. 4Th place with a 6-9 record. Dexter Fowler, their new center fielder who had such a hot spring is batting just .143. maybe he's pulling out of it last night he hit his first homer of the year, and his second later in the game as the Cards finished up a much needed sweep of the Pirates. The sweep of the Pirates has been the highlite of the season so far. Like I say, it took them to a 6 win 9 loss record and 4th place, or things could be much worse. They could easy be 3 and 12 the way they have been playing. Guess who's on top in the Central? Its not the Cubs, the Cinnci Reds. This is the worst start for the Cardinals since I think 1997, 20 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 100558890/

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 am 
One bright spot, the Cardinals starting pitching has the second lowest ERA in the league. Somewhere around 3.5 Earned Runs Per Nine Innings. If they could get their offense heated up who knows. Today Jedd Gyorko goes 3 for 3 with a double and a homer, Matt Carpenter gets another homer. But the hits just are not timely, not with runners in scoring position, the homers come but they are solo homers, without men on base. Things just are not clicking yet, good thing its a 162 game season but we need to get on the stick. Cards lose today 7-5 to the Brew Crew.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 am 
Real quick and then I'm out of here. You know I always say I look for the bright side of things. Even when the team is down in the dumps, last sweep of the Pirates the other night, a very good team, if you remember we swept them to end the regular season last year. We have now beat the Pirates, a great team, the last seven 7 games they have played at Busch Stadium. Now if we can just keep from evening it out when we play up there :laughsmile:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 pm 
What a difference a couple days make. Cardinals have won their last 6 of 7 games, 3rd place just a game and a half out of first place. :th_yeah:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 am 
Cards win today on a walk off 11th inning grand slam by Matt Carpenter. It had been awhile since we had one of those. Last time was by a guy named Tommy Herr if anybody remembers him.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:41 am 
Cards have been playing good ball. Yadi Molina the catcher made one of his classic pick offs today, catching a Red napping at third base with his foot off the bag. Cardinals beat the Reds and find themselves just a half game out of first place behind the Cubs. It's worth looking for the video of Yadi's pick, Reds player can,t believe it, and it cost them, they were rallying and had the bases loaded when Yadi shut them down. :thumbsup:

Here I found it for you, its pretty routine that he picks the guy off at first if he doesn't pay attention, players around the league are catching on to him and keeping their wits about them when on first against the Cardinals. But now they better watch out when they are on third base too :yep: Yadi has 48 of these sneaky pick offs now during his career.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/227141800 ... g-pickoff/

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm 
Now that's some heads up baseball right there... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #11  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:55 pm 
:hesaid: :yep:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #12  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:35 am 
Cards have had a couple rain postponed games. They lost last night 5-4 and the Cubs won. Boo. It's getting crazy out there. This lady has already lawyered up, guess she thinks somehow The Cardinals are responsible, everybody looking for a buck.

ST. LOUIS • A woman was grazed in the arm by a stray bullet during Tuesday night’s Cardinals game inside Busch Stadium.
Police sources say there had been a call about shots fired near the 14th Street and Chouteau Avenue area moments before the woman was struck, and that the bullet may have come from someone shooting into the air.
That intersection is less than a mile from Busch.
St. Louis police said the woman, 34, was sitting in her seat in Section 141 about 9:40 p.m. when she felt pain to her arm. She removed her jacket and noticed a small abrasion to her elbow. She went to the first aid station, and workers there contacted an off-duty police officer working a secondary security job there, police said.
The victim could not be reached for comment. Her mother told the Post-Dispatch the victim had retained an attorney and they had been advised not to speak to reporters.
Todd Porter, 54, of O’Fallon, Ill., was at the game with his 13-year-old son, Christopher, and was seated directly in front of the victim. She suddenly said, “Wow, I think I’ve been shot,” just as the eighth inning was coming to a close, Porter said.
“We thought she was joking, but everybody turned around and she showed me the blood coming down from her elbow,” Porter said. “It looked real purple and red and it looked like there was a hole in her jacket.”
The man who was sitting with the victim then said, “We need security, she’s been shot,” Porter recalled.

Porter said the woman picked up the bullet slug from underneath her seat near the first base line.

A bullet slug was found “in the immediate area around the victim’s seat,” according to police. They said it appeared the bullet came from outside the stadium.

In a statement, the Cardinals confirmed the incident and said: “There is nothing more important than the safety of our fans, and the Cardinals are grateful that no one was seriously injured.”

Team President Bill DeWitt III said security at the ballpark has never been tighter. Safety measures include surveillance cameras inside and outside; three explosives-detection dogs and a fourth on the way; two SWAT teams; and new metal detectors, which are all linked.

“There are millions of dollars being spent on additional security, personnel, and procedures to be protective of the fans and the experience at the ballpark,” Dewitt said. “We are prepared, and we will continue to be more prepared.”

Porter said the woman hit by the bullet was in shock.

“We were all in shock,” he said. “They were just sitting there like any other couple, laughing and giggling, and a little bit later is when that happened.”
Porter said he and his son were sitting in seats 7, 8 or 9 in Section 141 when it happened, and “could have thrown a ball and hit first base.” His son sat in front of the victim.
“It could very easily have hit him,” Porter said.
Porter said he and his son then left the game. “I told my son, ‘Let’s get up out of here before someone else gets to shooting,’” Porter said.
Porter said he was surprised that the incident had not been reported to the public sooner.
“This is terrible,” he said. “Someone is shot in the elbow and no one hears about it? Let the public know what’s going on. If somebody out there is shooting, I understand you didn’t want people to get up during the game and run, but at least let people know this happened as soon as possible and know, ‘We’re sorry to hear it happened to her and checking to find out what happened.’”
The police department released a statement confirming the incident in response to questions Wednesday morning from the Post-Dispatch.

“This further amplifies our yearly message of encouraging ‘Fun Without Guns,’” the statement concluded. “We know ‘what goes up must come down,’ and in this case, an innocent victim was struck. The department constantly stresses the importance of safety and responsible gun ownership.”

In 1965, a robber trying to hold up the ticket office at Sportsman’s Park on North Grand Boulevard fired a shot, which then ricocheted about 400 feet across the diamond and grazed 13-year-old Carolyn Yount in the throat during a Philadelphia Phillies game against the Cardinals.

That girl, now Carolyn Yount Pomicter, 65, of Maryland, contacted the Post-Dispatch Wednesday. She said she couldn’t believe history had repeated itself.

“My parents didn’t retain an attorney back then,” Pomicter said. “We were compensated with three baseball game tickets!”

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #13  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:12 am 
Cardinals win Cubs lose a game, tightens it up. The national League Central it the closest in baseball right now. The last place Pirates are only three games out of first place :yep: Over in the East The Nationals are the first team to get 20 wins and have the best record in baseball.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ba ... gs&spf=760

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #14  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:32 am 
Cardinals finish up a sweep of the Braves, they needed that. For the third evening in a row Cards win Cubs lose. Cardinals have passed the Cubs and are 1/2 game out of first behind the Reds. I watched history tonight, I watched the last half of the Cubs, Yankees game. I watched a record 48 strike outs in this game, 48. Batters were swinging at everything, like they were swatting flies but missing those flies :happy0035: The game went 18 innings, that's the longest game of the season so far, its the longest game ever on ESPNs Sunday Night Baseball game. Both teams were running out of players as can be expected. The Cubs used two pitchers that can't hit as pinch hitters, that's how bad it was. At one point they brought in John Lackey, the ex Cards pitcher as a pinch hitter. John got his experience in the American League where pitchers don't bat. he has a .115 lifetime batting average(very low) and has never hit a home run. I guess maybe the Cubs thought he was over due :poundfloor: Can you imagine how the hitter feels, what it does to his confidence when they bring in John Lackey to hit for you :happy0035: But 48 strike outs in one game is just something to see, do you know Joe DiMaggio nor Tony Gwynn never struck out that many times in an entire season?

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #15  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:47 am 
After starting the season 3 and 9 the Cardinals are now 19-14, 1st in National League Central, they have won 6 games in a row on the road. They swept the Braves on this road trip and tonight they go for the sweep against The Miami Marlins. They have been showing they can come from behind, they have been showing they can win the long ones in extra innings, they have been showing they can still get that clutch hit when needed. Cards are a game over The Big Red Machine, game and a half in front of the Brew Crew, 2.5 on those Cubbies we love to hate and the Pirates have slipped back to 5 and a half games out of first. If you were to ask me at the beginning of the season how it would look I would have told you the flip of that, Pirates at the top and Cards at the bottom, I'm pleasantly surprised.

NL Central
Cardinals
Reds
Brewers
Cubs
Pirates

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #16  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:29 am 
Its the little things, the little games within the games in baseball that make all the difference. I could probably name a couple dozen others but you know whats the difference between the Reds being in first place and the Cards being in first place? That little pick off toss Yadi made back on April 29. The Reds would have had the bases loaded, they had the momentum, they probably would have scored and probably would have won, and today they would be in first place. Its the little things. Tonight the Cards scored the winning run as the catcher missed the tag on the runner scoring by about a half an inch :happy0035: Little things, they say football is a game of inches, well I think baseball is too. An inch out of the strike zone, an inch over the wall, the tag was an inch short.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #17  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:27 am 
Cardinals are the hottest team in baseball right now having won 8 of their last 10 games. Two days ago they lost a heartbreaker to the Cubs 3-2 or they would be 9 of the last ten. They did rebound against those Cubs yesterday for the win. In first place and leaning to like it there, still real close with all the other teams except the Pirates, they are starting to slip back. I would never have thought it. I know its early but I would have thought the Cubs, Pirates, Brewers or maybe the Cards the top three teams. Well right now the top three teams are the Cards, the Reds, and the Brewers. But like I say, its close, and its early, end of the year its going to be between the Cubs and Cards again I think. The cream always rises :happy0035: Oh ya, they are playing back home at Busch, that last road trip? It was perfect, been a long time since they had a perfect road trip.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #18  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 am 
Both the cards and the Cubs sent their aces up on the mound yesterday in the rubber game of the series. Wainwright against Jacob Joseph Arrieta. Arrieta pitched well against the Cards last year and had a lifetime 1.77 ERA against them. Well yesterday belonged to Wainwright as he shut the Cubs down completely. Adam went 7 innings, his longest of this short season, gave up no runs. Arrietta watched his 1.77 ERA against the Cards balloon to over 5 :happy0035: Yadi Molina, who is quickly becoming the fan favorite Cardinal in my small household (its just me) sent his Mother a Mothers Day present over the outfield wall, twice :happy0035: Cardinals are playing pretty good ball as they solidify themselves in 1st place. Now the Cubs on the other hand, they dip below .500, that's right, believe it or not last years World Champion Chicago Cubs, the Team of the Future, have lost more games than they have won. :surp:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #19  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 am 
Cards have lost a couple to Boston and find themselves tied for first but really a couple percentage points behind the Brewers. Lost a one run games last evening in 13 innings that's got to hurt. Like last year seems the Cards would rather play on the road than at home :shrug: Doesn't make sense, nice park, nice fans, nice weather....maybe too nice, maybe the teams coming in to town to play say hey, this is nice, nice park, nice fans, nice weather and they get up for it, play real well :laughsmile: maybe the Cards should adjust the hot water temp in the visiting teams dressing room or sumtin :happy0035: cool em off.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #20  Post subject: Re: Cardinals 2017
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 am 
They honored my all time favorite Cardinal Team the 1967 team, I was 9 and ten years old that season, I lived and died by the box scores that year. I thought God sure knew what he was doing when he made man bleed Cardinal Red when cut. That was the year Gibson pitched with a broken leg. Roberto Clemente had hit him with a line drive and broke his leg, he kept pitching until his leg literally broke in half and dang near fell off. :surp:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 17407.html

Offline Profile