Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #1  Post subject: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:53 pm 
I like baseball but I'm a big boxing fan also. A buddy of mine I grew up with in StLouis won an olympic gold medal and went on to be an undefeated light heavyweight. He and his brother the only two brothers to ever hold the heavywieght title. Mike Spinks. I haven't talked to him in 20 years, couple weeks after his one loss in his career against Mike Tyson, he said he would never fight again i didn't believe him at the time but he never did. Mike's had it rough his wife, a girl we went to school with got killed in a car crash years ago, went to her funeral, and he's raised his daughter on his own.
Just got to thinking about him he's living up in Delaware. What got me thinking I was watching tv here at work and theres a fight on...this big Russian guy is fighting a guy named Balboa on VH1 channel :happy0035: Don't know whose gonna win it...

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest
Winning Team
2011 Deer Contest
2016 Deer Contest
Muzzleloader Co-Winner
2014 Highest Scoring Deer

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 am 
What ever happened to Butter Bean? He was the 3 round knock out king!

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:49 am 
I attended an early Gerry Cooney amateur win but durin' the fight Cooney got staggered 3 or 4 times and I told my buddy that heck, I could whup Cooney. Next thing I know he's fighting Larry Holmes for the heavyweight title.... :th_smilie_help.gif: :happy0035:

Butterbean retired from boxing and switched over to Kick boxing and Pro wrestling, and I think is still doin' it......

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:55 am 
My friend Mike fought Cooney and knocked him out in the 5th, he fought Larry Holmes too, twice, and won both. Thats who he won the heavyweight belt from. larry was 48 and 0 when he fought Mike..I thought for sure he would win and ty Rocky M's record of 49 and 0 but it wasn't to be. They partied in the projects that night in StLouis.
I remember that fight though WW Gerry Cooney was dubbed "The great white hope" we haven't had a white heavey weight champ in so long.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 am 
Something had to give, Larry was 48 and 0 and the heavy weight champ in possesion of a wicked jab. Mike wasn't a pushover having ran through the light heavy weight ranks undefeated at 27 and 0 and a champion himself. He ran out of competition at light heavy and moved on up. He just didn't look like a heavyweight, alway thin, thin neck, he weighed just 200 lbs when he fought Larry, but he took it to him, all night long. Michael could fight, we were buds in junior high and high school, I went to his wedding, I went to his wifes funeral, I never attended one of his professional fights, but thats not to say I never saw him fight :happy0035:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XokRWtl_Rqw

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 am 
Just a footnote: When Mike's brother Leon beat Mohammed Ali for the title he didn't even weigh 200lbs. I think he weighed like 197. Two brothers neither big, that could scrap and hang with the big boys.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Deer Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2007 Deer Contest
2013 Winner Archery
Highest Scoring Deer
Sponsor
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:06 am 
Speed can overcome size and power in boxing for sure, since Lennox Lewis was champ it seems the heavyweights just get bigger and bigger with the current heavyweigts being 6'7" and 270lbs or so. However I do believe a 220 lb guy like Holyfield was in his prime could come in and clean up in the division.... that is if there were someone out there with those skills and heart.

Recently Miguel Cotto moved up to his 4th weight class increase and devistated Sergio Martinez who was the linear middle weight champ, Sergio being a much larger man. Manny Pacquiao (fighter of the decade) started his pro carreer at 106 lbs or so, has moved up and won in 8 weight divisions and currently fights around 154 or so, his hand speed and movement is amazing to watch.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2010 Deer Contest

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:33 pm 
Hip wrote:
Just a footnote: When Mike's brother Leon beat Mohammed Ali for the title he didn't even weigh 200lbs. I think he weighed like 197. Two brothers neither big, that could scrap and hang with the big boys.

I bet my English teacher Mrs. Ruffin $1 that Spinks would win that fight (she was a huge Ali fan). She never paid up. :mad:
I was a fan of Mikes after watching him in the olympics, Tyson always reminded me of him. Never thought Leon would ever be able to take Mike.

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:10 pm 
Did Leon ever get his money, teffus and driver's license back? :happy0035:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:17 pm 
Sad story with both Spinks, Leon sweeps the floors in a small family owned grocery store in St.Louis and lives in a small room in the back the store the owner lets him have. He does have teeth, just doesn't wear them all the time. :happy0035: Mikes up in Delaware, he had turned over his winnings, over 30 million to his manager Butch lewis, Butch was going to take care of his finances and cut him a monthly check for the rest of his life. Just one problem with that, Lewis died of a massive heart attack at his home in Bethany Beach, Delaware in 2011. The money is gone, Butch spent it. Mike is suing his estate trying to recoup some of his loss.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #11  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:01 am 
may weather and pacquiao

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e77_1409122088

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Deer Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2007 Deer Contest
2013 Winner Archery
Highest Scoring Deer
Sponsor
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest

Post #12  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:35 am 
Hip wrote:

I don't think Mayweather would have that sort of punch output against pac, lol, I wish that fight would have happened a few years ago but not sure it will ever happen now. Mayweather just isn't a big risk taker and Pac looked a lot more cautious in his last outing since that KO he took from JMM. This Maidana rematch will be a re-run of the first fight with Mayweather running and pot shotting more, and Pac is fighting Algieri who really impressed me with his skills agaisnt Ruslan P, but I don't think he will figure Pac out quite that fast. If this fight ever gets inked they will both be on the downside of thier prime by a long shot.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Deer Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2007 Deer Contest
2013 Winner Archery
Highest Scoring Deer
Sponsor
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest

Post #13  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 am 
Looks like JT will be allowed to fight after the incident at his home last night.

http://www.boxingscene.com/jermain-tayl ... ght--81495

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #14  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 am 
Don't know anything about JT's private life but he never came off to me as bein' a thug in any of his interviews that I've watched. But I guess time will tell as more of the "official" story about this incident comes out...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Post #15  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:29 pm 
Mossyhorns wrote:
Speed can overcome size and power in boxing for sure, since Lennox Lewis was champ it seems the heavyweights just get bigger and bigger with the current heavyweigts being 6'7" and 270lbs or so. However I do believe a 220 lb guy like Holyfield was in his prime could come in and clean up in the division.... that is if there were someone out there with those skills and heart.

I always said that if you could have crossed Lennox Lewis with Holyfield you would have the greatest HW of all time........

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #16  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:35 am 
http://findtheinmate.com/gsapdfs/142200 ... .5140.html

Its looking more and more that he's a thug, thought he had his head straight maybe not. He's 36 years old now, thats not young for a boxer, maybe its over.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #17  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 am 
Be good if he gets back up before the count of 10.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #18  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 am 
I think he started out in boxing on the right foot, responsible, respectful, mannerly, then let all the money and fame take him down the dead end path he's on today... :shrug:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Deer Contest
2014 Trail Cam Contest
Winning Team
2007 Deer Contest
2013 Winner Archery
Highest Scoring Deer
Sponsor
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest

Post #19  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am 
It is a shame, J T went from middle weight champ to 4 consecutive knock out losses with the last resulting in a brain bleed that prompted his advisor and promoter to ask him to retire. He cleared medical testing after a few years and right before another shot at a title belt he shot his cousin, which was bad but he was still able to fight. He won the title belt and could have been on his way back to a decent money fight before this display of bad decision making. Early on he seemed like a good kid that got a good opportunity but he is sure messing up his second chance at it, not sure if the brain injury has anything to do with it but the weed they found on him this time isn't helping him at all. Maybe another story of ..... you can take the boy out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the boy....

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #20  Post subject: Re: Boxing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:23 pm 
Long time ago. Leon and Mike Spinks.
upload image online

Offline Profile