Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 am 
Long Gone at Arkansas, no pun intended. Well, really there was... :thumb:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... s-51171065

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #2  Post subject: Re: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 am 
What I've heard on the news and from friends at the university is Bret Bielema is gone at end of season and they are talking to Gus Malzahn. Said Malzahn wants out of the pressure cooker of Auburn.

Online Profile  

Admin

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 pm 
It really doesn't matter who the coach is. Arkansas with nothing to draw the best of the best with, especially a winning tradition, simply can't recruit enough good players on a consistent enough basis to be a consistent top 10 team or even close to one in the conference we're in now. All we have is fancy facilities on a hill in the far coldest corner of our state with no consistent top 10 winning tradition, and where all the deer have CWD... And we think we're gonna consistently year after year draw top 19 year old prospects to that regardless of who the coach is? Even Bear Bryant or Nick Sabin couldn't be consistently successful here for the long term... :smack: We've had several successful coaches come in to our program just in my lifetime who couldn't be successful here. For awhile though after Broyles retired and became athletic director, I think we had a few really good ones come in and give Arkansas a try but they didn't put up with his interference long enough to know whether they could have built a long term winning tradition here or not.

But no doubt we can eventually find somebody who can do a better job than Bielema has been able to do under Arkansas' circumstances. In fact, we may have had a better than normal long term fit at Arkansas in the making a few years ago until he bought himself a motorcycle and apparently a gallon of Arkansas moonshine and put a female employee on the back of the motorcycle.... :smack:

Just hope our next Athletic director isn't just an Arkansas cheerleader full of impossible dreams but rather somebody who recognizes the challenges any coach faces here at Arkansas and doesn't offer any new one every cent we have then end up havin' us fans force him or her into havin' to buy them out for millions more dollars because we expected them to consistently field us a top 10 team under the almost impossible circumstances he inherited, or any other coach will inherit here at Arkansas.

After an honest assessment of Arkansas' situation in the college football world, I'll be happy if we can get a coach who long term can make all our conference games at least competitive most seasons and our non conference games never a struggle. With that will come at least the chance of every once in awhile makin' the big time.... Go Hogs...!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Sports Forum

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:36 pm 
:hesaid: ...We need recruiting..Not sure who can create a winning tradition so we can get the recruiting jump started.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2011 Best Rub Contest
Winning Team
2011 Deer Contest
2016 Deer Contest
Muzzleloader Co-Winner
2014 Highest Scoring Deer

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:08 pm 
Bye Felicia!

I think Huston Nutt would make a great AD but I think he burned too many bridges when he left.

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Razorback Athletic Director Jeff Long Fired
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 am 
Well they didn't even give Brett time to get off the field after that last loss. They phoned him while he was walking off and fired him. You would think that they would call him into someones office and do it face to face. Arkansas not showing much integrity doing it on the phone if you ask me. Brett took it well and showed a lot of class the way he took it. Handled the press conference well also, said nothing but good stuff about Arkansas and still wants to help them anyway he can, even after being canned. I was surprised to see our interim athletic Director is a girl. After that big win for Auburn in the Iron Bowl against #1 Bama I doubt we could afford a coach like Gus Malzahn :shrug: maybe. Im always reminded, having worked for a state agency for years and years in Texas, that the highest paid state employee in almost every state is the big schools football coach. Down in Houston I worked for The University of Houston, for a couple years our basketball coach made more than the football coach. Houston hired ex NBA great and ex alumni Clyde "The Glide" Drexler as basketball coach. He didn't work out too well, a much better player than coach :happy0035:

Offline Profile