Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:40 pm 
Went to a interesting Feral Hog Control workshop over near Bastrop today. Thats in central Texas out east of the hill country, they actually have pine trees but to me they are short and stubby. There is dirt not rock so they farm big fields of grain, hay ect. About a 100 folks showed up. Mainly local farm/ ranch owners, an older crowd. sponsored by the county NRCS (soil conservation service) so a lot of ag service folks and people who'v known them for years.

Got see a fella who has built 7 of the real-time remotely triggered traps. He has a full time day job but started building traps to control hogs on the family land. They are about 5K to set up. Now he runs 7 setups and has a facility where they ship live hogs to a slaughter house in south Texas. Hogs out of his setups and others anyone else brings in. Prices used to be 50 -80 cents pound but are now a dime or less. Wrangling live hogs out of the trap into the trailers is not easy. Most of the meat goes over seas but 40% stays in the states

Game Warden talked; shoot hogs and let em lie no rules or license needed. take them for food and no limits, spotlight at night ect just have a hunting license. lease hunters paying for hunting on your land you need the lease owners license ( a new one on me, anyone who charges for people to hunt on their land needs a TPWD leaser's license)

State Ag extension hog expert was best talked trapping vs other methods, max trapping strategies, Feral hog /wild pig lineage of escaped russian boars mixed with escaped european pigs, ext ext. Talked about the warfrin poison. Like many other people he didnt buy a lot of the manufactures claims they made based on their own research. Texas set up its own research on poison hog baits. said what killed it is a rule Texas dept of Ag has that if you poison animals you must retreive the carcass within 2-3 days. guess that is because they dont want other animals consuming poisoned dead animals and carrying the poisons all over the environment. He said it takes 6 -16 days for the hogs to die after eating that bait, so with a 19 mile range it would be impossible to find and dispose of the dead hogs to comply with that law. there is another poison which has been tested in Texas, Mississippi and several other southern states. Sodium nitride, hogs are very sensitive to it. 1/16th the dose to kill other mammals takes them out in a couple hours. human fatal dose 30+pounds ( or 16 didnt keep written notes, anyway a bunch) problem they are working on now is delivery system that targets hogs and cant be broken into by raccoons or black bears right now they have it encapsulated with a peanut butter bait He thinks it will be out and on the shelves within a year in Texas.

A bunch of peoples comments and questions hit on what I see as the real bottle neck on hog control. How difficult it is to get a hog out of your field and into the supermarket. This is "free range, organic pork" we are talking about here. Right now the only way it can happen is for live hogs to go to a licensed inspected slaughter house. Surprisingly the domestic pork industry is not open to this idea. If unregulated market hunting had basically exterminated the deer in Arkansas, Texas and all over this country in the 1900s, and the elk ,bighorn, antelope too. It seems to me that market hunting might make a tiny bit of difference. I'v worked as a registered sanitarian for about 20 years now. I know a lot of food safety folks ( I design septic systems and do wastewater /public health land use planning) I get bored to tears with hours of food safety talks at our continuing ed conferences, so I can see how it works, where we need to make adjustments. Monetize this resource for the land owners and we will get the problem under control, and with out a lot of subsidies. Bastrop county has 25K for bounties at $5 a tail this year. 5000 hogs the money will last about 6 months. 25K could pave some road or help fix a bridge

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 pm 
The pork industry will fight any effort to make feral hog control profitable because it would cut into their business. Another thing to consider is that if wild hogs were as you say monetized the problem could get worse as there would be incentive not to get rid of them. Another crop sort of. It would be nice if a non subsidized control would develop. IMO poisons just have to many drawbacks to ever become widely approved. At least as they are today.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 pm 
I am old enough to remember the days of using 1080 for coyote and wolf control. We sure don't need to go down that road again.

Offline Profile  

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 pm 
They say hogs are like herpes, once you'v got them you will never get rid of them. They said that Texas has more wild hogs than all of the other states combined. We also have more box stands and deer feeders than all other states combined. People were asking if maybe we are not contributing to the problem ? It was recommended that folks put up low fence around their feeders, except 1 or 2 where they are going to locate their traps. Fences around deer feed spots are, or used to be the standard. you had to keep the cows out of the deer corn. just about anywhere you will find old wire fence enclosures of a small area, 20 or 30' diameter. wire grown into the trees now. Baiting deer with corn a part of the fabric of deer hunting in Texas. Its been that way as long as I remember.

Hogs are smart and a lot of what folks have been doing has only caught a couple hogs and educated the rest on what to avoid. small box traps especially. The big remote activated corral traps are fairly new on the scene and by catching most of a sounder you can try to minimize educating the hogs. It was pointed out that when you have trapped a group its best to sneak up to the trap armed because any who are not inside may be hanging around on the other side of the fence from their buddies.

Since hogs are quick learners control efforts dont have to catch or kill all. If hogs get shot in a field they will move to another place. On the other hand remove a sounder and in a infested area another may move in within a week or 2. Trapper likes corn best, fermented does not attract as many deer. They like to start feeding a week before setting up trap. keeps trap open for a week or so lets all hogs get adjusted to it before setting trigger. Manual corrals can be set up for a couple hundred $. same bait area a week, set up trap and keep open a week. monitor with cams if you can, dont have to be real time. use 80-100 LB braided fishing line for trip line. use small tire 10 -12" to load bait in, deer and coons can eat the bait but wont move the tire. hogs rooting will move tire and trip gate.

The only 2 methods that are effective hog control are aerial shooting and trapping. tannerite gets classed as a rifle method. dont think aerial shooting is ever going to work in Arkansas

It was pointed out that some of the dramatic increases in the feral hog populations happened when there were big downturns for the pork industry. It was suggested that this is not a coincidence

The large area corral traps are new and most folks are just learning how to properly use them. They can also be used such that pigs can be harvested alive and delivered to licensed slaughter facilities. If we can get the financial incentive fixed we ought to be able to push them out of the agricultural fields and back into the bottoms where they used to be

Here is a game cam picture about 400' from my house the afternoon the day we had the workshop

Offline Profile  

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 pm 
Classify this as "newbie goes hunting" A food editor from our notoriously liberal weekly rag in Austin went on a guided pig hunt and wrote it up The cover picture of the weeks edition was her standing in the field, rifle slung over shoulder. https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/20 ... carnivore/

They really play up the hogs are invasives that are tearing up the land theme. Also interesting stuff about a recent Austin transplant who has come up with a app that connects hunters to land owners (not just Texas)

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2010 Deer Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:55 pm 
We have a bunch of hogs at my lease on the red river east of Paris Tx.
We have a blast chasing those things around, is why I chose a can am for a utv due to the speed.
This video is how we play, it is as fun as it looks. Havent gotten into this many hogs in one night but quite often get to chase one or two packs around in a night.

Online Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2010 Deer Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:59 pm 
Here is my rig getting all set up for a night of hog eradication. :poundfloor:

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:15 am 
I have a friend in the Nuisance Animal business. He bought a corral trap with automatic drop gates. He has worked to develop his system to bait and trap. The numbers of pigs he catches are almost unbelievable. Hundreds on some farms. His success make me think feral hogs can be eradicated with enough well done trapping but it is an expensive venture and a lot of hard work.

With CWD changing deer hunting however we may want a few hogs. :sob:

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 am 
rjet wrote:
Here is my rig getting all set up for a night of hog eradication. :poundfloor:

I like that liquid fuel on the ice chest :poundfloor:

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2010 Deer Contest

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:28 pm 
twodog wrote:
I like that liquid fuel on the ice chest :poundfloor:

It is imperative that one stays hydrated while chasing hogs through the fields. :happy0035:

Online Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #11  Post subject: Re: Hog control workshop Texas. new type of poison bait
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:44 pm 
rjet wrote:

It is imperative that one stays hydrated while chasing hogs through the fields. :happy0035:

:hesaid: :yep: ... Yes very important!

Offline Profile