Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

Time to Click HERE Or Visit The Deer Forum
To Sign Up For This Years Deer Contest!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 pm 
Are there porcupines in Arkansas ? what parts of the state are they found in ? I can not remember ever hearing stories about them down in south central Arkansas, so they must not be common there. We never used to see them in the populated areas of central Texas but over the last 10 years of so they have been making a showing. dogs come home with spines in their noses after they have been roaming. I dragged a a big one that was hit in the road off on to the shoulder on my way to town this morning

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:05 pm 
I have never seen one in central Arkansas.

Online Profile  

Highscores: 1
Post #3  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:34 pm 
I've never seen one in south Arkansas.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #4  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:31 pm 
Not very common at all. But porcupines are one of those animals kinda like the mountain lion that's not supposed to be in Arkansas, but are... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:49 pm 
My son saw one in Yell County several years ago and no I am not BS. Said it walked right by him while we were hunting. I have seen them run over not to far into Oklahoma also. Never seen a mountain lion run over even where there is lots of them.

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 pm 
Never saw the porcupine but I pulled a few quills out of a young squealin' coon dog's head years ago in far southwest Arkansas close to the Texas state line. Led her back to the truck and poured peroxide on her wounds and left her in the dog box the rest of the hunt. And although I let her rest and heal for a few nights she was rompin' to go again the next night when I loaded the other dogs...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Porcupines where are they in Arkansas ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 pm 
Thanks everybody for the informative replies. We have had them around San Marcos for a number of years now. The only time I have ever seen one was about 11 pm driving a back road 7 miles from town. that was up in the rocky hills with lots of juniper and live oak. We knew they were here because the occasional dog returning home with a nose full of quills. that and finding quills in some of the local caves ( I sometimes survey caves as part of my work) Porcupines do like caves and if one is there you will know immediately by the smell. Kinda "sweet burro" and very strong. Couple years ago one got hit on the road near the High School in New Braunfels. That is located on the outer loop and is a fairly dense housing/ business area. The way that dogs roam fairly freely in Arkansas I would think that if porcupines were there people would know. Guess the local vet's would be the ones to ask

This mornings wildlife sighting was a 30" coral snake crawling across the path to where I park my car in the summer. It rained recently and it was damp and cool.

Offline Profile