Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Post #1  Post subject: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:56 pm 
My cousin has a place on the Saline river up near Sheridan. He was telling me about the place and mentioned they see otter there. How common are otters in Arkansas. Are they more common in some parts of the sate, less so in other areas ? do they inhabit the large reservoirs ?

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 am 
Here in little rock we have a pretty good size park in Boyle Park, Rock Creek runs through the park and there is a pond in the park the creek runs through its part of the Community Fishing Program...Seen what I thought was a Nutria from a distance one day..didn't think much of it. Then a couple trips later seen a beaver, I know it was a beaver, flapped it tail when spooked and dived under, I have seen lots of Beaver in Colorado. Then one day Im trout fishing from the bank, not 7 feet in front of me a young otter comes floating by on his back like otters tend to do, I couldn't believe it but it was right there in front of my eyes :yep: The Saline river isn't far from me, bout 18 miles down the hiway it crosses under hiway 30. Saline has a lot of fish if you know what your doing. Its probably the most unsung Walleye hot spot in the state, not many folks know about it or fish it for Walleye but its loaded with em. I live in Shannon Hills Arkansas, we have a creek that runs thrugh our small city, its named Otter Creek. Got to get its name for some reason or another.......

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 am 
There are otter all over the state. They show up in some surprising places too. Last year a friend that owns some property on a mountain top in the Ozarks had one show up in his pond. He saw it eating a catfish. The creek that runs out of the pond dries up in the summer and the pond is easily 5 miles from Piney Creek that it drains to. Back when I beaver trapped catching otter went along with that and I have caught them all over the state I have trapped. Another friend has a place on Lake Taneycomo, Missouri, and otter would come on his dock at night raid his fish basket and eat all the trout out of it.

Online Profile  

Forum Leader
Weather Forum

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Deer Contest
2015 Deer Contest
Winner
2014 Best Rub Contest

Highscores: 2
Post #4  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:13 am 
I saw two about 10 years ago. They were in a drainage ditch that was off of Antoine river.

Online Profile  

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 am 
Hip I was asking about walleye in the Saline years ago. seems they are somewhat new. My dad is from Possum Valley, down near Ozments bluff, Drew co. My mom is from Staves, Cleveland Co. I learned a lot of fishing from my grandmother. she had a spot on the bank at Mahoney's Ferry I would did up worms and we'd catch a mess of sunfish and maybe a couple bullheads / catfish. Fishing off the bank with cane poles. As much fishing as they all did back when no one caught walleyes. maybe they werent fishing for them, or maybe walleyes came after the reservoir populations got going I really want to get up there in the winter and catch some.

My cousin the surveyor over in Grant county says beaver are a big pest now. We have them here in central Texas. out on IH 35 there is a mall that has some detention ponds. less than 10 years old. beaver came and killed the cypress trees planted by the ponds

Many many years ago I saw a otter by a reservoir near Dallas. I was in high school so it was 69 or 70 otter was on the rip rap of a railroad line that crosses a arm of lake Ray Hubbbard. It was just a couple years after the lake had been filled. Otter didnt pay much attention to me

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:16 am 
Could be what you are asking about are Sauger. They look like a walleye just smaller and are in the rivers all over and always have been so far as I know. I used to catch a lot of them in the Arkansas River when I fished below the dams. I guess folks still catch them. I seem to remember catching some in the Saline at Jenkins Ferry when I was a pup but that was so long ago I am not sure about it.

Online Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #7  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 am 
Here are some links to the Saline and its wonderful walleye fishing, like I say, a lot don't know but its a good one. If twodog, a state biologist doesn't know about the walleye fishing you know its got to be a secret :thumbup:

This first one look at the bold type in the second paragraph.
https://www.arkansas.com/outdoors/water ... ine-river/

https://www.arkansas.com/river/saline-river/41

This one briefly mentions the bottom being gravel, that's the key to the walleye fishing, they really like the gravel or gravel sand bottom, not mud.
http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... tryID=2649

https://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/r ... -river.xml

OK more than you wanted, I know ;-)

Offline Profile  

Admin

Post #8  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 am 
Hip wrote:
OK more than you wanted, I know ;-)

Wasn't more than I wanted Hip. I enjoyed reading every word about the Saline at every link. The Saline is like a whole lot of other Arkansas rivers. I've heard about them all my life but don't know anything about them or what's being done to try to keep them and their inhabitants clean and pristine and usable here in these modern days of pollution. I would never have guessed that a simple gravel road could add enough pollution to a small river or stream to make a difference, and I would never have guessed the Saline watershed starts so close to where I live... Good info... :thumbup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online Profile  

Post #9  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:07 pm 
yep lots of gravel in the upper and mid reach. My dad talks about shoals of mussels that were there in Drew/ Bradley county area in the early 30s before some pearl button dredgers came thru. There is a tiny gravel burrowing bullhead in the upper reaches. They used to mine white gravel out of the river and near Sheridan there is a operation that makes aquarium gravel from older terrace deposits. Biologically it is a fairly unstudied river. White Oak Bluff was the head of navigation for steamboats. That's our area. There's not a lot of public access points to that part of the river. canoe and kayak folks would find it boring. But its really pretty Downstream from Warren it gets really flat, slow and the snakes are bigger

I plan to do some investigating of the walleye situation when I can get up there, but we dont need to talk about it a lot. One of my cousins told me he caught a 9 lb walleye so thats not sauger. He said go to the Arkansas river and fish at a lock n dam for sauger.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #10  Post subject: Re: Otters in the Saline river
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:38 pm 
AGFC has in the past raised and released a hybrid called a saugeye. I have no idea if they still do that or where they turned them loose.

Online Profile