Arkansas Hunting and Fishing
Where Sportsmen Gather Year Around to Talk About
Huntin' and Fishin' and The Great Outdoors!

* Arcade   
 * Register    * Login 

This Forum Stands.
If you don't, or you support those who don't,
you aren't welcome here!

Announcement
Thanks for stopping by. This Forum doesn't promote any particular method of hunting or fishing, any weapon or equipment of choice, or any particular management strategy or agenda. We strive instead to provide all individual sportsmen and women a place to relax and have fun in a friendly civil atmosphere while discussing outdoors related activities and issues with fellow sportsmen and women from all across the state and beyond. So whatever your outdoors passions might be, click on the Register link above then scroll down and follow the simple instructions to become an appreciated and respected member of the Forum's family. Registration is fast easy and FREE...

THIS IS NOT A POLITICALLY CORRECT FORUM. It is owned and operated by Arkansas redneck hunters and fishermen and is not a part of any organization, business, or agency

Admin

Post #1  Post subject: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 pm 
AGFC
Arkansas Wildlife Weekly
May 9, 2018

Randy Zellers Assistant Chief of Communications

Arkansas private land elk hunting simplified for 2018 season

JASPER – Twenty-nine lucky hunters will find out if their application for an Arkansas elk permit was successful at the Buffalo River Elk Festival, June 23. Biologists are trying to make it easier for the rest of us wanting to take an Arkansas elk who are willing to put in a little legwork and handshaking to make it happen. Beginning May 15, Private Land Elk Permits will be available on www.agfc.com.

Private land elk hunts always have been a bit of a challenge to participate. A certain number of tags were given to landowners who met specific acreage requirements based on survey data and information submitted to the AGFC Elk Program. Landowners then had to choose which person would get each tag.

“We’re routing all permit applications through the online license system,” said Wes Wright, elk program coordinator. “The application fee will be reduced from $35 to $5, any hunter will be able to purchase a private land elk tag from May 15 until the day of their hunt. It will be up to them to acquire the landowner’s permission.”

Wright says the switch also helps eliminate some of the paper permits a hunter had to carry. The private land elk hunt permit will simply appear as a code on their license.

While the formal quota for the hunt will be set at the Commission’s May 17 meeting, Wright expects no change in the quota from last year.

“The quota typically is 12 bulls and 40 antlerless elk,” Wright said. “Hunters must call the Wildlife Hotline (1-800-440-1477) each morning to find out if the quota has been reached. Once it has, the season is closed.”

Wright hopes the changes to the process will encourage more hunters to talk to landowners about accessing their property to hunt elk, particularly antlerless elk.

“We have had issues filling the antlerless side of the private land quota in the past,” Wright said. “This change may help get permits in the hands of hunters who will take a cow elk, provided they still get landowner permission.”

As with any type of hunting, hunters on private property must have a signed copy of the landowner’s permission to hunt, unless that person is an immediate family member. An example Permission to Hunt Card is available in each year’s Arkansas Hunting Guidebook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Profile  

Charter Member

Judge
2012 Deer Contest
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #2  Post subject: Re: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm 
Will see on this one. Wonder how many folks end up with a tag and no where to hunt. Something to think about. Did you every think you would see the day when you could kill a elk in any county in Arkansas and most of them it be included on your regular license at no additional charge?

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Deer Forum

2007 Deer Contest Judge

Post #3  Post subject: Re: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm 
I was cutting firewood a couple weeks ago on a Forest Service permit and a local I know stopped to visit. The talk got around to elk and he said that as far as he and most other mountain folks were concerned the season is open anytime one is seen. They are not real happy about CWD and the elk connection. I don't think most have any doubt about AGFC and their priorities.

Online Profile  

Highscores: 12
Post #4  Post subject: Re: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:41 pm 
How would a person(not a local) find out who had land that they would allow elk hunting on? My boys are wanting to try this year for a permit( slim to none chance) and was wandering about the private land hunts. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Forum Leader
Trail Cam Images and Info

Winning Team
2012 Deer Contest
2013 Co-Winner
ML - High Scoring Deer
Winner
2015 Highest Scoring Deer
2016 Tiniest Tines Award

Post #5  Post subject: Re: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:58 am 
I would guess that about the only two options for getting permission to hunt private land for elk would be to know someone, really well, that owns land in the area or to pay for the privilege. As far as where to start, I don't have a clue. :scratch:

Offline Profile  

Judge
2014 Best Rub Contest

Post #6  Post subject: Re: Private Land Elk Tag Process Simplified
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:02 pm 
I assume we are talking about taking elk in the elk core area, private land within the core area for elk. Quotas and permitting. last year they told us you could take an elk outside the core area without a permit, with no quota restrictions, that say you were deer hunting outside the core area with your 30.06 and seen an elk its totally legal to drop him. I wonder does this still hold true?

Remember this:

According to Wright, any deer hunter who happens to see an elk while hunting outside of the Core Elk Management Zone (Boone, Carroll, Madison, Newton and Searcy counties) may legally take that elk with weapons legal for the season they are in.

If this still holds true if I was a landowner next to a core Management zone with elk I would be trying everything I knew to lure them over :happy0035:

Offline Profile